Pages

Saturday, November 6, 2021

A new RSC project for 2022

I haven't finished all of this year's RSC project yet, but I believe I've decided on a new Rainbow Scrap Challenge block to make going forward.  I'm calling this one Nanci's Star, which I'll explain.  This block is quick and finishes at 9" in a quilt.   


It's really just a simple Friendship Star with 4-patches in the corners.  But the special thing is that the pattern and fabrics came from the stash of my friend Nanci, who passed away very suddenly a little over a month ago.  Her family are graciously sharing her stash with various charity quilting groups and with some friends.  I'm lucky enough to be the recipient of a basket full of goodies from Nanci's stash.  We were more "casual" friends rather than BFFs, having several interests and other friends in common. But my life was certainly richer for knowing her.

In the basket was a ziplock bag holding several small kits from one year of the Row By Row Experience.  This was designed to be a single 9 x 36" row in a quilt or possibly alone as a table runner.  The theme that year was "water" so in those little kits were quite a few batiks to be used in the rows.  I love batiks!!!  And this particular one just begged to be made immediately.

So, I cut and sewed the 3 blocks and was ready to cut the sashing to finish it as a table runner, when I had one of those lightbulb moments . . . RSC project!  I have a LOT of batiks in various colors, and so the plan is to use a light and dark of various colors to make additional blocks.  I think this will make a terrific RSC quilt over the next year.  

And each month when I add more blocks I'll think of Nanci.  

I'm linking up to RSC this morning:
https://superscrappy.blogspot.com/

9 comments:

cityquilter grace said...

very pretty blocks and lovely memories no doubt

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Those are pretty blues, and the stars are a great idea for a quilt! My local quilt group had a member pass away, and her family did the same thing with her stash. I think of her every time I use up something I chose from her fabric!

Vicki in MN said...

I think it is perfect to make these blocks in Nanci's memory!

LA Paylor said...

is that also called milky way? good idea for rsc

The Joyful Quilter said...

What a lovely way to remember your friend, Nanci!!

Sue said...

That's a lovely idea. I also made a quilt top this month in honor of a friend who just passed away. It's therapeutic to sew in honor of someone.

Ivani said...

Beautiful blocks for a new RSC quilt, great idea Sara.

Jenny said...

How lovely to make beautiful blocks from Nancis stash in memory of her.

Far Side of Fifty said...

How nice that her family shared with you and others!