Pages

Thursday, November 11, 2021

It's Thursday already?

Thank You on this Veteran's Day to all who have served in the military!!  


This really hasn't turned into a week with lots of sewing time, which is OK once in awhile.  Monday was spent working on sorting out more old photos, and other stuff that just needed to be done.  I still have a mess of photos to scan, but that will happen gradually. And I pampered myself with a pedicure.  Tuesday I had lunch with friends, and then did a little holiday shopping before hopping in the car to go to a college basketball doubleheader.  Two Jackrabbit wins!!  


Wednesday morning I finally had a couple of hours to play in my sewing room, before having to work in the afternoon.  I made 2 of the 3 presentation pillowcases for Quilts of Valor that I had kitted up recently.  One of these was needed today for the QOV presentations that will be happening at a Veteran's Day luncheon, so these pillowcases were my first priority.   


And I made both of this week's Farmer's Wife Sampler blocks.  The top one is called Windmill, and it was possibly the easiest block we've made so far. The bottom one is Mother's Dream - a name that makes no sense to me at all.  74 blocks are now completed out of the 111 in the book.  That is 37 weeks' of staying on track with these.  Thank goodness for doing this project together with my friend Linda in Ohio, because otherwise it would have been easy to set them aside. But doing 2 blocks each week has been a reasonable goal to reach, and we post our finished blocks on Facebook for the other to see each week too.  Keeps us accountable!

I did lay out all of the little pieces for the frame for one more Laundry Line block.  Hope to get that frame added yet this week.  


And . . . I've been doing a lot of thinking and planning of future projects.  Oh my!  I couldn't possibly live long enough to make everything I want to make!  And it's way too easy to surf the Internet for ideas while riding in the car 2 hours each way to basketball games.  Pinterest and Google are dangerous!

I have set a major goal for 2022 of making a Storm At Sea quilt.  There are so many incredible ways to use the basic block, but also other "not so basic" variations.  This round one blows my mind!  


So it will take me awhile to decide on colors, layout (simple or complicated???), size, paper-pieced or not - and the planning might end up being half the fun!  I did print out the paper piecing templates to make just ONE block and plan to test out the block using some batik scraps. 

3 comments:

Vicki in MN said...

Yes I get on Pinterest and it is a major rabbit hole for ideas, so I totally understand!! I have never done a SAS but they are beautiful and I look forward to seeing yours come together.

Jeanna said...

I've never seen a round version of a Storm At Sea quilt. It will be exciting to see what you come up with. Enjoy today's luncheon.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Wow that last quilt will be a beauty! It will be fun to see what fabrics you choose and to follow it along! I do like that windmill block also and Mothers Dream...I wonder what they were thinking too. How about x marks the spot!