Pages

Monday, November 15, 2021

Design Wall Monday - Creativity moves to my kitchen

 First of all - there is nothing on my Design Wall this morning, although I'm getting ready for a busy week - sewing, work hours, and much more.  And one of the first things I plan to sew this week will be starting the new Saturday Sampler.  This is our first block - and I love the colors in this sample block at the shop. Stay tuned this week to see if my fabric choices work as well as Cindi's fabrics.

https://smallquiltsanddollquilts.blogspot.com/


My biggest accomplishment over the weekend was spending Sunday with my 2 daughters making lefse.  We had so much fun, in spite of being novice lefse makers.  None of us had ever made it ourselves, and we definitely made some mistakes.  But we learned a lot and next time will go better.  We made good use of YouTube.  


For those of you who are not familiar with lefse, it's Norwegian flatbread.  Picture a crepe, but made of potatoes. The dough is made from riced potatoes - with butter and flour, plus a bit of salt and sugar.  And it's rolled very thin and it's fragile.


Note - my kitchen counter still has a thin film of flour on it this morning, in spite of getting scrubbed twice when we were done.  That flour was everywhere.  LOL


We learned NOT to make those balls of dough ahead of time, because the potato dough just absorbs the flour and goes back to being extremely sticky.  And we learned that not all recipes give very good instructions, hence going to YouTube several times.  


Laura did most of the "cooking" of the lefse, but we all took our turns at each step.  Jerilyn was the best one of us at rolling the dough paper thin.  


In the end, we made a lot of lefse, although most of it wasn't as pretty as it might be with more experience.  We ate some, the girls each took some home, and I even put some in the freezer to have at Christmas.  So, I call our first lefse making day a success. 

8 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

You did it! Way to go!

Nann said...

Your grandmother would be proud of you! The sampler block is intriguing.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

The new sew-along block is a neat one! Your day with your girls making lefse sounds like fun, too. I had a college roommate who made lefse when we lived together, but I don't remember much about it. Do you eat it like bread with a meal, or put fillings inside?

Bonnie said...

Haha... I had to see what you were up to based on your photo. I've never heard of lefse. But it looks like everyone had a great time. Love the colors of that block...is it part of the Saturday Sampler? Is it a quilt along? Curious minds and all. Have a good week.

Gretchen Weaver said...

Sounds like a fun day with your daughters. How do you eat the lefse, with syrup like pancakes? Have fun with the Saturday Sampler, happy stitching!

Vicki in MN said...

I have heard it is quite the process! You are making me so hungry for lefse now! That sample block is beautiful, but those are my colors-along with purple;)

Nancy said...

I saw your photo at one of the link-ups and had to come see what you were making (in your sewing room--haha). Years ago a friend made and shared with us a Norwegian bread he called morlefse. It was different than the one you made: it had no potatoes and it was slightly sweet. Delicious. It looks like you had great fun this past weekend!

Jeanna said...

Looks like a great time was had by all! You had plenty of lefse for sharing and freezing? Good job ladies.