Pages

Saturday, April 30, 2022

Shooting Stars is a rainbow

Shooting Stars still needs the narrow background border added, but all of the colorful blocks are finished and the rows are all assembled.  I love it as is.  


Without the white border it's only 48" square, and the pattern only calls for a 2" border.  So I'm considering choosing one of those colors and adding a wider outer border just to make it larger.  If I leave it this size, then it would make a decent baby quilt.  This flimsy will hang in the closet with other finished tops while I decide how to finish it. 

The star block itself is one that I think needs to become part of my RSC repertoire of blocks.  This block is 8" square finished, so it's a good one for scrappy sewing because the largest piece needed is 2.5" x 4.5".   Plus - this one is easy to adjust to different sizes without crazy math. 


I made one PINK block just to celebrate the April color.  But before putting away the last of the pink scraps it seemed practical to kit up 4 more of them.  Yup - a little squirrel has distracted me.  And of course I couldn't resist starting to sew them.  


And I couldn't resist doing one more pink Twinkle Star too.  So I had 3 pink ones added to the stack for this month, and I can't wait to see what color comes next.  


I finished binding a big UFO quilt and a mini UFO quilt, but will show those another day.  Once that binding was done, I did pull out another UFO - Tulip Time - and began to add some sashing to the blocks.  That will be a time consuming project so it probably won't be finished in May. But I'm happy to be making some forward progress on it in between other projects.  Baby steps  on this one.  


And finally on Friday I chose another PIG (project in grocery sack) to cut out for May.  This one is small - one of the monthly pillow kits from 2021-22.  

Check out the RSC gang to see what else is happening in pink and find out what color has been selected for the month of May!

16 comments:

cityquilter grace said...

love tulip time!

Vicki in MN said...

Any step in the right direction is good no matter it's size!!

Mari said...

Ooh, great stars top! A 2-inch border in any color will finish it off nicely. Love the twinkle star, too!

Anonymous said...

Loving your Shooting Stars, where might we find the pattern? Thanks, Sharon

barbara woods bewtjw@gmail.com said...

Great projects

Tired Teacher said...

Shooting Stars is lovely. The star pattern is a great one: I’m going to make a drawing of it before I forget.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love Shooting Stars! That is a really great block - I can see why you want to make more of them!

Chantal said...

So cute. I love your Shooting Stars with their little sidekick made with the same fabric. Twinkled Star is quite a beauty too. Enjoy! ;^)

Linda In UK said...

Fabulous quilt top! Your star blocks are a great RSC idea and love the Twinkler stars too.

Jan said...

I haven't heard of a PIG before lol! its lovely

Kirsten said...

Beautiful quilt. Your stars are striking!

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Beautiful shooting stars rainbow quilt! I love those stars, I've made a couple of quilts from them. I usually call them 4 patch stars, don't know the real name.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Perfect!! Love the way it turned out!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful projects. I especially love those Twinkle Stars. Way to use up those scraps!

Susie H said...

Whoa! That Twinkle Star is magnificent! Love all your pink blocks and good for you! Bagging up a couple of blocks for a "quick sew" on a rainy day or whenever.

Susan said...

Love the pink stars - but the twinkle star is really great!