Pages

Thursday, July 28, 2022

One new RSC block - in purple & yellow

I know that the last thing I need is another project, but I've been seeing these scrappy blocks online for ages and finally just HAD to try it out.  The pattern is Scrap Happy Rainbow Connection by Amy Smart.  It's a digital PDF download from her website.  I really needed some mindless sewing on Monday evening so this is what I did.  


The pattern is really an easy one and should be a pretty good way to use up scraps.  There are 2 main parts:  a strip made from colored scraps, and 2 half square triangles.  Then it's squared up.  


The scrap bin (12" canvas cube) containing purple also has blue scraps in it.  As I was digging around for purple scraps I realized that the bin contains MOSTLY blue scraps, and not much purple.  There were plenty of little pieces, but not many strings that worked for this block.  Luckily there were enough to do this one block.  And if I dig deeper in that canvas cube I may find more purple strings.  


The yellow scrap bin also yielded enough strings to make a yellow friend for the purple block.  

My other mindless sewing after work this week so far:

** cut out 2 red elephant blocks since I didn't make any red ones in January. 
** sewed the final row and final sashing together on Tulip Time. 
** cut and prepped binding for 3 projects

6 comments:

cityquilter grace said...

great scrappy idea AND stash buster

Gretchen Weaver said...

These blocks will make a lovely quilt. The block has several different names. Bonnie Hunter calls the finished quilt String X. I've made several of those. Happy stitching!

Vicki in MN said...

I made a quilt with similar string blocks a few years ago, they were fun for the mindless sewing:) You did good in your other projects after work too.

R's Rue said...

So very beautiful. Regine
www.rsrue.blogspot.com

Sharon Kwilter said...

Yellow and purple, my two favorite colors. Your blocks turned out great.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Oh I like these blocks too, what a great design!