Pages

Monday, February 20, 2023

Design Wall Monday - catching up gradually

 Slowly but surely I'm working on the sew-along blocks that needed some catch-up attention.  For the Scrappiness Is Happiness sew-along I'm down to 2 blocks left to be all caught up.


On Sunday I made Shortcut Star (week #13), Spare Squares (#14), and Twinkle Twinkle Scrappy Star (week #15).  The large block for week #12 is started but just barely, and last week's block (#16) is another smaller one so it should be quick to make. 


Somehow I missed making the dark 3" version of block #12 (Captivate by Barbara Groves) when I did the others.  So, that's the one Sewcialites block that I started with on Sunday.


The pieces are all cut for both 3" versions of Sewcialites #14 as well.  The bigger versions of this block are already done thank goodness.  There are still a couple of other 3" blocks to make, but I'm making headway on these.  And I haven't made ANY versions of the block from last week yet. 


I really don't have a firm plan for these little blocks yet, but . . . I noticed that one of the fat quarters I purchased in New Mexico recently contains the same colors that I've been using.  Now I'm thinking this could make a great center with these little blocks added around it in some way.  The small blocks could be centers of star blocks circling that floral.  All kinds of possibilities exist, and that fat quarter is folded up and tucked in with the blocks so it doesn't get lost. 


One more Sunday project was getting the borders onto another UFO, so it's ready to be quilted.  This is Country Bunnies, which was a Rainbow Scrap Challenge project last year.  I made 9 bunny blocks using the monthly color.  It was a good thing I bought plenty of that botanical print for the outer border because I realized when laying it out to cut that it was directional.  So, the long side borders were cut from vertical strips, and then I cut the top and bottom strips.  Can't have upside down pumpkins!

What is on your design wall today?
https://smallquiltsanddollquilts.blogspot.com/

3 comments:

Vicki in MN said...

And here I thought it was intentional that those blocks matched the colors in that piece of fabric until I read more. What a happy find!

Tired Teacher 2 said...

The new floral print is perfect for the small blocks! I started another QOV but didn’t work on it over the weekend.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That center fabric you found is really perfect for those pretty blocks with the black background! Looking forward to seeing your bunnies come together, too!