Pages

Friday, June 2, 2023

Checking off small goals

Yesterday afternoon I picked up 2 quilts from the quilter.  Trimming them won't take long, and since the binding is prepped, I'm hoping to have one of these ready for hand stitching over the weekend.  Both are UFOs, and it will be so good to check them off the list. 

My blocks are all complete for the Scrappiness Is Happiness quilt.  This one is a sampler, so the blocks are different sizes and shapes.  This one is ready to be assembled into rows. 


Spring Basket is another fairly large block, at 16" square (finished).  I've been using my 30s fabrics, but for this one I added a dark blue hand-dyed looking one for the handle and stripe in the basket.  I just couldn't find anything in the 30s stash that worked as well as that.  But since there are no Quilt Police, no one will probably care that there is a non-vintage looking fabric in there.


Tall Pine is 6.5" x 12.5".  Kind of a fun block, and the book does show a quilt made with this one.  


The final block was supposed to be this one - the Toy Sewing Machine.  However I just kept thinking this looks like a water faucet.  So I went back in the book to find another block that is the same size to substitute for the water faucet.  There is also a Santa Hat block that I may pull out and replace too once I start working on the rows.  It seems out of place somehow.


The substitute block is Blossom (9.5" square).  The first one I made was aqua.  The 2 versions of this block will be far enough away from each other that it will work fine. 

The rows probably won't happen until I return from the cruise, but it's nice to have the blocks all ready to go as soon as I'm ready to work on it again. 

5 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

I agree about the sewing machine block. Most of the blocks I've seen just don't look right! The flower is very pretty, a nice addition to your quilt. Enjoy your cruise!

Nann said...

I like the basket block! You're fortunate to have a longarmer in town.

Tired Teacher 2 said...

Good call on replacing the sewing machine block. MSQC has a quilt with a huge machine that doesn’t look much like a sewing machine either. Have you seen it?

Anne Kirby said...

I don't mind the sewing machine but the Santa hat bugs the hell out of me lol. I made it in a green/blue swirly Xmas fabric. It kind of disguises it.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Love the tall pine!!