Pages

Friday, June 9, 2023

Replacement blocks, bees, & birthdays

Happy birthday to the oldest grandchild today.  Mason is now 12, and will go to middle school next year.  He likes golf, basketball, football, and gaming.  And he is spitting image of his mother at this same age, right down to the freckles.   

There were 2 blocks out of the Scrappiness Is Happiness book that I just didn't like mixed in with the others - the sewing machine block and the Santa hat block.  


I replaced the sewing machine block by repeating one of the others, but in different colors.  And now I'm replacing that Santa hat block with a repeat too.  This is the Quick Dash, but I added the 2 side strips because the Santa hat was oblong - finishing at 10 x 14.  Assembling the rows won't begin until July most likely, but I know I'll be happier with the substitutions that I made.  This will be a cute quilt in the cheerful 30s reproductions.


One more small finish for this week, is the Bees table runner.  I kept the quilting fairly simple with some stitch in the ditch plus some curved lines inside the block centers.  This was originally a kit - pulled out of a drawer full of PIGS, and instead of a couple of large mug rugs it yielded this runner. And the third block became a hot pad just a couple of weeks ago.  To get 3 blocks from the kit required star points made from my own scraps.  So, one more small kit is out of the drawer. 

6 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

hope you all enjoy Mason's birthday - 12 can be such an awkward age when they no longer seem a child and then all of a sudden the voice changes for the boys

Vicki in MN said...

What a handsome young man, Happy Birthday Mason! Yay for another kit finished!

Nann said...

You turn around twice and he's as tall as you are. Happy birthday! As always your scrappy projects are cheerful.

Angie in SoCal said...

I've done that -substituted a block for one I didn't care for in a project. Call it personalizing the kit. So nice table runner you have there. Again, adapting a kit. You're a natural for making what you need. Thanks for stopping by my blog. It made me visit your site to see your sweet projects.Blessings,

Far Side of Fifty said...

Happy Birthday to your Mason!

Kate said...

Happy birthday to Mason! The table runner turned out beautifully. Enjoy your stitching today. Hopefully you have time to get a bunch done in the sewing room once all the birthday party stuff is done.