Pages

Saturday, October 20, 2018

Playing in the scraps



I wimped out this morning and just couldn't bear the idea of sitting outside in 40 degree weather to watch my 7 year old grandson play flag football.  I know - I'm a terrible grandmother.

However, after the "good grandparent" left the house to drive to the game, and I put in a load of laundry, and emptied the dishwasher . . . then I figured I had a little time to spare for my sewing room.  I was planning to clean off the cutting table and do a little organizing - not sew.

While cleaning I was  watching and listening to last night's Quilt Cam (Bonnie Hunter/Quiltville) and Bonnie was talking about her Chains and Hourglass block in the summer issue of Quiltmaker magazine.  She was doing hers in Halloween fabrics with black and orange paired with a neutral background. In the magazine the photos were just 2 fabrics, a light and a dark. The block was kind of boring (my opinion). But with the Halloween fabrics this block really came alive.  And I just HAD to dig into the drawer full of hoarded Halloween fabrics to see what I have.

Next thing I knew, there were 2 blocks made and a mess on my cutting table again.  I think 2 more blocks added to these would make a nice little table topper.

If you are interested in Bonnie's archive of Quilt Cam videos full of tips, tricks, and show n tell - go to her blog:  http://quiltville.blogspot.com/  She has links for Quilt Cam archives, tons of wonderful free patterns, and much more.  And if you follow her blog, this winter's Mystery Quilt will begin soon. Colors and yardage will be revealed around Halloween, with the first clue released as always on Black Friday.   Check out other scrappy projects at:  http://quiltingismorefunthanhousework.blogspot.com/2018/10/oh-scrap-cleaning-up-small-bits.html

7 comments:

Tired Teacher said...

The blocks look great, especially in three fabrics. I zipped right by the block in the magazine because it didn't grab my eye.

P.S. I don't think you're a terrible grandmother for not going to the game. 😊

Ramona said...

Your blocks look great in the Halloween fabrics. And I would have done the same thing....stayed home. Once I’m cold, I’m cold the whole day.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I agree -that is much cuter in Halloween fabric! It will definitely make a fun table topper!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Your blocks look so cute in those Halloween colors. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

Bonnie said...

OOOhhh! I like those blocks a lot. I really think your 3 color version is wonderful. I need to see what I have in Halloween fabrics. Your skeleton fabrics really make the blocks!

marebear said...

Love the Halloween colors in these blocks.

maggie fellow said...

I like it with your fabrics