Pages

Thursday, October 18, 2018

Small Talk is finished



Because it's only 15" square, this mini quilt packed a lot of detail into a very small space.  There are 48 Flying Geese blocks - each one finishing at 1" by 2".  Small Talk is a Kim Diehl Simple Whatknots pattern.  I swapped out 2 brown fabrics with 3 greens, and I like the color combo much better.

This little thing was so NOT SQUARE when I finished putting it together yesterday!  Because the pieces all start out so small I double checked my measurements before sewing.  So my problem must have been inconsistent seam allowances and too much pressing.  Very frustrating!! 

Second issue with Small Talk is that I used a thread for quilting that was too light in color.  I think a darker beige would have looked better.  I'm seriously considering a quick tea dye for this project to tone down that pale thread.  The quilting itself is very simple - straight lines every 2 inches, with a serpentine line in between them.

Ironically it is now much closer to square since it's quilted and bound. 

2 comments:

Tired Teacher said...

How cute - a great table topper. I don't like working with tiny pieces, but I love the way they look in a finished project.

I haven't had good luck with machine quilting smaller pieces - mine turn out all wonky. Do you quilt only one direction or do you alternate directions?

LA Paylor said...

you never quite know how a color will look when all over a piece. I've head luck toning down a color with prisma color pencil dragged over the thread, use side of pencil, do lightly and it's done. I don't think it's too distracting but if it makes you less happy, then try something to change it, let us know what you did so we can learn from you! Leeanna