Pages

Wednesday, November 4, 2020

A new Saturday Sampler

Our new Saturday Sampler has begun, and it's an adaptation of Lori Holt's book Quilty Fun.  It was an earlier one of her books and features a "row quilt" plan. But our Saturday Sampler is going to use the block patterns, but in a different layout.


Some Saturday Sampler projects provide fabric for the blocks each month, and other years we are encouraged to "shop our stash" or purchase fabrics if desired.  This year I am going to shop my stash of 30s fabrics.  I purchased a background that is white with little blue dots.  But the rest is going to come from my collection of 30s fabric.

This star section is one of two we received this month, and I cut the pieces for two stars from each of eight colors.  However, now that I'm starting to sew them, I was reminded by a friend that I only need to do 7 stars rather than the 16 I cut pieces for.   The funny thing is I'm sure those little pieces won't go to waste as most of the blocks in the book use these size pieces.  So they will just go into a little zip lock baggie and wait to see where else I may use them.  Or maybe I'll end up making more stars and using them on the back or even in a doll quilt.  

4 comments:

Tired Teacher 2 said...

The background fabric looks great with your 30s stash fabrics. I have some vintage 30s fabric from my Mom’s collection, but can’t bring myself to actually use it.

Connie said...

This is sew pretty, I love 30's fabric. They remind me of when I was a little girl and Momma would let me pick out the pretty printed fabric on the flour sacks because it would be used to create a new school dress that year. I started school in 1950 . . . do you know when they stopped making printed flour sacks? I only remember them from my first year or two of school.
Your blog is so lovely, I truly enjoyed my visit today.
Connie :)

Moneik said...

I love that you're able to use your stash. I know how much you enjoy your Saturday Sampler class.

chrisknits said...

I over cut way too much!!! But then I tuck them away for other projects.