Pages

Thursday, November 12, 2020

Checking the Christmas stocking off the list

 This week has had quite a few positive progress steps on more than one project.  And one small project has been completely finished and ready to gift.


Over the last couple of years I've made quilted Christmas stockings for both daughters' families.  My younger daughter now has her mother-in-law living with them, since her stroke in February.  Happily, the MIL has made great health improvements but will probably continue to live with them for awhile yet.  So Laura asked me to make a stocking for her to hang with the rest of the family.  I think it turned out pretty cute and I'll gift it along with the annual Christmas ornaments that I give each family member every year.  


Another project that had become a UFO is Unity.  This was a free Bonnie Hunter quilt pattern that she released this spring/summer possibly as a reminder to us all that we need to be unified and kind to each other during this stressful time.  She chose to do her quilt in red/white/blue but I chose to use black as the background with bright aqua, pink, and lime green.  


I made the first 2 "rounds" which were released on a weekly basis just like her winter mystery quilts.  I love how it looks but then realized that I really didn't have enough of the bright colors left to make all of the "rounds" for a full sized quilt.  So, the project currently hangs in my closet - waiting for a decision.  

I keep seeing some beautiful versions of this quilt online, and finally decided that I will at least add Round #3 as part of my 2021 UFO Challenge.  Then we'll see where it goes from there.  I'll need a total of 36 of the 4" (finished) star blocks for this round.  There is only 1 in the bag, but at least I've pulled it back out and written it down on my list.  And yes, that UFO list keeps growing!!

3 comments:

Kate said...

The black really makes those colors sing, love your version of Unity. Good luck with the next round. I've got a start on round 5, but it's likely to take me awhile to get very far with that step.

Tired Teacher 2 said...

My sister is also known as G-ma, and her husband G-Pa. I only knew one of my grandparents. I do like the black background with those bright colors.

Moneik said...

I think the UFO list always grows. I cut a lot faster than I sew!