Pages

Friday, September 2, 2022

Farmers Wife Sampler is finished

I'm proud to present:  Farmers' Wife Sampler! 
This quilt was a 2 year collaborative project - and it is worth every minute of the time spent. 


This huge queen-sized quilt was made by doing 2 blocks every week - along with a friend in Ohio - for over a year.  Linda and I are part of a small closed Facebook group, and she put out a challenge to anyone in the group interested in working on this quilt together.  I was the only one who took her challenge, and I'm so glad I did.  Every Monday she posted on Facebook which 2 blocks we would make for the week.  And we would both post pictures of the completed blocks as we made them.  Accountability to each other was such a good way to stay on track.

Amazingly enough, neither of us ever fell more than 1 week behind.  I know that I couldn't have finished all 111 blocks on my own.  That's right - 111 different 6" blocks are in this quilt.  The funny thing is that we chose very similar fabric colors.  I used leftovers from several years of Kim Diehl Simple Whatnots projects.  And there are plenty of scraps left yet to play with.  
 

The quilting on this one is really elegant.  I left it up to the quilter at The Pin Cushion to choose a design, and she did a beautiful job on this.  

This quilt is going on my bed for fall and winter.  It weighs a ton and will keep us warm. Plus, then I get to admire this quilt every day.  

8 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

Beautiful quilt! Quilts with the small blocks can be rather challenging but what a feeling of accomplishment when they're finished. Happy stitching on the next project.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

congrats on finishing. Its wonderful. I started to make this one but I didn't finish it - maybe if I hadn't made those 2 dear jane quilts before this one LOL - I did get a twin size from this though - I think I was just too tired of small sampler blocks at the time.

Vicki in MN said...

Absolutely gorgeous Sara, love your fabric choices. Kudos to you and Linda for staying on track with this biggie;) Did Linda post photos of her finished one and does she have a blog?

ChrisDeeCaregeiver @gmail.com said...

Oh my gosh. That quilt is a treasure! It's got everything I like in a quilt. The colors are bold and striking as are the various blocks. Congratulations on this beautiful quilt. You should be so proud of your accomplishment.

Anonymous said...

Sara, what a masterpiece!! Congratulations to both you and your friend. The quilt is wonderful.
Sharon M

Tired Teacher 2 said...

Beautiful quilt and a major accomplishment. I can’t imagine making that many different blocks for one quilt.

Jan said...

Congrats on finishing! its a beautiful quilt and lovely to be working on it with a friend.

Sharon Kwilter said...

Congratulations! That's a huge project and was quite an achievement.