Pages

Saturday, September 17, 2022

RSC - Ohio Star blocks

The collections of Ohio Star blocks has been growing gradually all year, but since I've decided to divide the blocks into 2 sets I need to take stock of what colors I have in each set and what I might need to add to the sets.  I've begun with the blocks with 


The aqua fat quarter was "rescued" from the spilled bin contents.  The little sheep are so cute and one block of each layout joined the collections.


I also rescued this large dot on a lime green, and an orange Aboriginal print fat quarter.  There were actually 2 fat quarters of this lime print in that bin but 1 stayed in the bin.  Soon there will be a few more Ohio Star blocks.  The remainder of the green already been cut down into the sizes I use often.  


There are only 13 of these blocks so far.  Notice the light blue one - middle row, third from the top. Laying them out on the floor I could see what colors I have and what colors are needed.  There is only 1 red, 1 green, and no orange ones so those will be a good place to start with filling in the gaps.  A couple more blue ones need to happen too.   

A total of 20 blocks (4 x5) will make a decent sized child's quilt because these are 10" blocks.  Or maybe I should turn these on-point with setting squares between them.  Lots of possibilities exist for these blocks, so I'll just have to play with them.

The block versions with the white background may become a larger quilt because there are already 22 blocks in the stack.  We'll see what those turn into. 

What are you working on for RSC this week?

7 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I love your Ohio Star blocks - that is one of my favorite star patterns

Tired Teacher 2 said...

The dark backgrounds on these stars are attractive: they showcase each star, yet pull all of them togethe.

Gwyned Trefethen said...

Although I am retired and an empty nester, I live a very active volunteer life requiring frequent Zoom meetings. So, I was super impressed by how you squeeze in sewing during your lunch hour. Yes, 15 minutes is enough to time to make progress and you have made huge progress on multiple projects.

Ivani said...

You will make beautiful quilts with those Ohio star blocks, Sara.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Lovely blocks, and you will have soon two beautiful tops.

Vicki in MN said...

I am sure liking where your Ohio Star quilt is heading. I hope you got lots of sewing time this weekend.

Sandy Panagos said...

You really have some cool fabrics to "rescue"! Beautiful project!