Pages

Tuesday, April 11, 2023

Humble Homes is finally a flimsy

 This project has been a thorn in my side for several years.  And I'm happy to report that it is finally a finished top.  I might need to celebrate!


Humble Homes was originally purchased as a kit on a shop hop, but it was quite a few years ago.  It was started and stopped more than once.  It's been a long journey.

The kit had laser cut house and tree pieces - but without any fusible on them.  The pieces were floppy, wrinkled, and a bit ragged on the edges.  I pressed them all, but packed it away for another time.  This was going to require a lot more prep work before I could sew.

Then I decided I didn't like the colors at all for the house blocks - purple, brown, gold, etc. It was like they just chose anything ugly to get rid of.  And they were mostly bigger prints. Yuck!!  I bought the kit because I liked the blue houses in the pattern picture so this was disappointing.  I tossed those ugly house pieces, and started pulling out blue options from my stash.  The pieces were traced onto fusible, and ironed onto the blue fabrics.  Then I put it away again for a year or more.

Next time it saw the light of day I cut out all those houses.  I bought the 5 yards of background the pattern suggested.  Note to self - that was a lot more background than was actually needed.  Everything was put away again after cutting the 11" by 57" strips for the rows of applique.

It has been on my UFO list for at least 4 years, but in 2022 I decided to just dig in and finish it.  I'll admit that my patience with applique is on the short side.  Well, 3 of the 5 rows were completed before I ran out of ambition.  That brings me to 2023 - and some determination to finish this quilt once and for all.  It is a flimsy, and I'm so very happy that I changed out the house fabrics, and that I chose to keep the border simple.  It's a flimsy, ready to quilt - and I actually still like it. 

5 comments:

Tired Teacher 2 said...

It’s beautiful and has quite a history. The simple border was the right decision because the eye is drawn to the houses and trees. Well done!

Vicki in MN said...

It looks perfect! I guess I missed the part earlier that the parts weren't fused in the kit, what a PITA. Also I think you did the right thing for sure in replacing the house colors!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

What a great finish!!! that is an amazing quilt!

Far Side of Fifty said...

It is beautiful! You were determined! :)

Shepherdess55 said...

Congratulations! This quilt top has had quite a journey. Don't forget to document it on the label for posterity.