Pages

Saturday, April 29, 2023

Week #17 Rainbow Scrap Challenge

One last week with purple yielded just a few new things . . . some purple, and some in a variety of other colors.  It has been a productive week. 


Because a couple RSC projects have become finished tops recently, I've been playing with ideas for new blocks to make with the monthly colors.  This is a 12" finished block that I'm going to call Floating Star because that center star floats.  This is a Quilt of Valor pattern that our group has been making for a couple of years now but obviously in patriotic fabrics.  I've decided it will be a good one for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge too.  So, a pretty purple batik was my choice for this first one.  FYI - There are 8 purple 4.5" squares, 1 white 4.5" square (center), and 3 squares cut at 3.5" for the star points.  


Here is the same block done in patriotic fabrics.  Usually we've made these with white stars, but I'm going to add some with colored stars for variety.  


Actually, this morning there are 3 of us going to make a Quilt of Valor presentation in Chamberlain (SD).  The quilt we're presenting is made with 30 of those Floating Star blocks.  We're planning to stop by the Dignity statue on our way home.  We've all been there before but since we'll be driving right by it seems fitting.


These are Rainbow Connection blocks.  Basically it's a string block with corners added.  I made these 3 to add to the stack that is nearly enough for a quilt top.  I have 25 so far, and am aiming for 30.  They are squared up at 11.5".


And 4 more of the Pineapple Hexies were made this week too.  There are now 6 of them, but I have no idea what they will become.  


The background pieces and the dark star points have been cut and stitched for the 9" Sewcialites block set.  This layout will be 72" square, before any borders get added.  I'm going to "live with" this on the floor for a couple of days and possibly rearrange a few of those green blocks for a better balance of colors.  I have enough of the background and the green to add some borders IF I decide it needs some, and to cut the binding from the green. It will be good to have this one done.  

What fun things are happening in the RSC world?
https://superscrappy.blogspot.com/

12 comments:

Nann said...

Lots going on for you, Sara! I like the floating stars concept. And the green Sewcialites! And the pineapples!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I love your pineapple blocks! I think I saw the Dignity statue once but I've seen so many large pieces over the years I'm not positive -

Mari said...

Love the stars and the hexies! The stars would make a great RSC project. I would love to see that statue in person, but alas, no trips to South Dakota coming up soon.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

You have gotten a lot done this week! I love the Floating Star! I might need to try one of those just to see how it goes together. The Sewcialites top in green is gorgeous - what a great layout design. Enjoy your QOV road trip today!

grammajudyb said...

Yay! A QOV presentation in Chamberlain. We stopped at Dignity twice last year on our way to Florida and on our way back home. She is awesome!
Sara..I need a clarification. The first floating star purple and white block? You say 3 white squares cut at 3.5” for the star points. Are they then cut on the diagonal? And should I cut 4 square so there are 8 triangles? I like the looks of that one where the star points overlap, instead of Flying Geese star points!

I have an uncle in Pierre, an 89 yo Korean War veteran that I’d like to get a QOV quilt to.I need to check with his son to make sure he doesn’t have one already! Hope your trip goes well!

Ivani said...

Your Sewcialites block set looks great! You had a great sewing week, Sara. Beautiful Floting stars, rainbow connections and Pineapple Hexies blocks.

Jenny said...

You have been busy again. I've seen a lot of bloggers stitching away on those sewcialite blocks but didn't realise it was set as a star, or this setting your own idea?
Adding new RSC blocks during the year is always fun, then they can carry over.

Vicki in MN said...

You have your hands in several projects and they are all fascinating! The Sewcialites in green, gosh I just love that star setting, best sampler I have ever seen!

Tired Teacher 2 said...

The green blocks look great arranged as a large star. I love it!

Helenchaffin said...

lots of beautiful blocks happening,the giant green star is amazing as all of them are

JanineMarie said...

So many pretty blocks. I’m really drawn to the string hexies. And how neat that you were able to visit the dignity statue on your way to your presentation. It is a stunning piece of work that I would love to see up close someday.

JanineMarie said...

So many pretty blocks. I’m really drawn to the string hexies. And how neat that you were able to visit the dignity statue on your way to your presentation. It is a stunning piece of work that I would love to see up close someday.