Pages

Monday, July 24, 2023

Design Wall Monday - July 24

 What's on YOUR design wall today?
https://smallquiltsanddollquilts.blogspot.com/  


My design wall is FULL of things I cut and prepped on Saturday afternoon, to work on for the next couple of weeks.  First off are the pieces to make the fancy pieced sashing for the final set of Saturday Sampler 2022 blocks.  I had made 3 sets of the blocks (in 3 very different colorways) because they were such quick blocks to make.  

The first set was done in Christmas fabrics, and I used the sashing design that was part of the pattern which made it a big quilt with a cool secondary design.  The second set was done with a black background and bright colors.  I finished binding both of those quilts this month.  And I decided to use that pieced sashing with the final set of blocks which are done with bright batiks and a pale grey background.  Because batiks were on sale at The Pin Cushion for Crazy Days this weekend, I bought a coral batik to use in that sashing and a black and white print for the background of the sashing.


Lots more cutting happened for 2 more Quilts of Valor tops.  I had bought a kit with a panel a couple of years ago that included a Villa Rosa pattern called Daring Spirit.  And I also pulled fabrics for a second version of that same quilt with a different panel.  It's time to get these sewn up instead of resting in a box.  SIDE NOTE - I still have 4 patriotic panels in the box that I've picked up when they are on sale.  The final cutting was for a patriotic pillowcase.  


One version of the Daring Spirit QOV has been started . . . because I just HAD to try out the Double Friendship Star block that is in the corner of these.   It's about 14.25" square unfinished.  This is an awesome star block and I'm positive I'll make more of these in the future.


And just to keep myself honest and moving forward I have 2 other projects that are "in progress" on my design wall this week that will also see some action - hopefully.  

#1 - finish assembling the Split Back Star quilt top for Quilts of Valor
#2 - finish the paper piecing on the gold and navy blue arcs (cruise project)


My reward for finishing the Split Back Star flimsy will be working on one of the new projects.  And my reward for finishing that paper piecing - well that remains to be seen.  There are only 2 sections left to add to these so it shouldn't be such a chore.

5 comments:

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

What great projects prepped!!!I really like the double friendship block - that looks cool!!!

Tired Teacher 2 said...

Gorgeous fabrics for the QOV!

Nann said...

You are so organized! Let the stitching begin! (Or...let it continue. LOL.)

Kim said...

I really like that Double Friendship block. So pretty!

Far Side of Fifty said...

The double friendship star makes a great block!