Pages

Saturday, July 1, 2023

RSC23 - Week #26

Halfway through 2023 already!  Time is flying by as usual. 

I really love batiks, and have a lot of them in the stash.  That doesn't stop me from buying more batiks however, and while in Alaska I did buy a few new ones to play with.  Both of the quilt shops I visited had so many pretty batiks to choose from.  


The Floating Star blocks for RSC23 are all being made with batiks, so how could I NOT use a couple of the Alaska ones for this month?  The light green has a lot of blue in it, and the design shows off the whale tails and salmon beautifully.  The blue one has hints of green and yellow - and more salmon.  There is also another batik that has a grey-ish background with pinks and purples mostly.  It has land animals and the word "Alaska" in the design.  I just may have to cut some of that one for another batik floating star just because it's pretty.

What else happened with lighter greens and blues this final week of June?  Nothing - but I did start thinking RED.  


The first red sewing was this string section.  It's 7.75" by 17" - the size needed for the string part of a Rainbow Connection block.  I can add the side triangles at a later date.  This string section joins 4 others already hanging in the closet.  Some day they'll become Rainbow Connection blocks - or maybe something else.  


Red batik Floating Star blocks are done too.  There are 11 of these hanging in the closet so far. For some reason I only made 1 pink one, and didn't make any yellow ones during those months.  


This red project needs some attention this month too.  It began in 2022 with the Stay At Home Round Robin (online) and that schoolhouse block in the center.  The idea was to add something each week using the online challenge ideas, such as diamonds or pinwheels.  I got sidetracked, and it was set aside after the corner diamonds.  Then in 2023 I pulled it out again to use with the 3" Sewcialites 2 blocks that I was doing in red and white.  This is pretty much how I ended things, so this might be a good time to at least get it to the flimsy stage.


 The UFO Challenge project number for July has been drawn, and this previous RSC project is the one from my list that has the most potential to become a flimsy quickly.  Next week I'll lay out the 42 blocks for this one and play with layout options.  There are actually 43 blocks in the stack, so one will become "seed" for the future.  LOL  

In the meantime, we have my husband's "cousin reunion" this weekend, and I have guild this morning, so there will be no sewing happening around here until at least Sunday evening.  

I'm sure there will be plenty of RSC fun to explore this week as we all shift from calm pastels to vibrant reds for this new month . . .

10 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I like those dark diamonds around the house in the center - great idea. the last quilt you show is really nice too

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

It's so fun to have fabric souvenirs from a trip! I love your Alaska Batiks. The star blocks look great and so does your SAHRR. I really like the way the little Sewcialites blocks frame the center!

Mari said...

OOh, I like the red round robin project. Definitely worth finishing. Great floating stars, too. Enjoy the reunion and happy 4th!

Gwyned Trefethen said...

Each project more fun than the last. Your stay at home round robin is great. Love how the scale and intensity varies so dramatically.

Jenny said...

I love the idea of the white floating stars, using the monthly colours the background.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Oh I like the red blocks! You have two projects there close to completion! Stay cool!

The Joyful Quilter said...

You've got some really beautiful batiks there, Sara! Best of luck on getting your Rainbow UFO into a quilt top. Have fun working on your SAHRR! It's nice to see that one come out to play.

Susie H said...

The Alaskan batiks are very pretty and will be a reminder of your vacation. That's always a nice bonus. Lovely red projects in the works too. Enjoy your week!

Quilter Kathy said...

I love your red and white SAHRR! I want to join in next year!

Katie Z. said...

Lovely projects!