Pages

Saturday, July 22, 2023

RSC23 - Week #29

I had an explosion of red this week!  But by far the most satisfying red project this week was finishing this wall hanging flimsy.


At 30" square it isn't big, but it was definitely fun!  This began as my Stay At Home Round Robin a couple of years ago, but I wasn't happy with the way it was turning out, so it was folded up and stuck in a drawer just waiting for some inspiration.

That inspiration came with the Sewcialites 2 sew-along this past winter and spring.  The 3" (finished) red and white blocks were actually the 4th set of blocks I made for Sewcialites 2 this year.  The other 3 sets are all in completed quilt tops already.  I only used 14 of the 24 blocks in this, but I do have plans for the remaining 10 blocks in a different project, so none will be wasted.  
 

The Boxed Squares collection gained 11 blocks with red centers, and 3 more with yellow centers.  The frames around the colored 2.5" center squares are 2.5" strips of black and white and grey.  These have been an on-going RSC project this year, and there are nearly enough for a generous kid sized quilt. 


How cute are little red mushrooms?  This was new fabric at the local quilt shop, and I just HAD to have a little of it for the Pyramid blocks.  The fabric line is Enchanted Forest by Free Spirit.  This print is actually called Toadstool.  LOL  


Because I was having fun with the Toadstool fabric, I kept playing - in a Windmill block, a Small Heart, and in the center of a Twinkle Star.  Parts already cut for the hearts and the windmills are kept in 2 small plastic boxes, so while those boxes were out . . . well you know what happened.  More blocks.


In the Windmill box there were 5" squares ready to pair up, some already cut, and 4 with the sewing begun already.  I did square up a couple of the sets, and sewed them into blocks.  When I'm cleaning up scraps I often cut a variety of sizes for scrappy projects - 5" squares, 2.5" squares, 3.5" squares, and bricks (3.5" x 6.5").  Strips of various sizes happen too.  The Windmill blocks require 2 each of 2 different 5" squares. 


I did pull out of that box 2 red/white star fabric 5" squares, and decided to use them in pinwheel blocks for future Quilts of Valor, rather than put them into another Windmill.


The Small Heart parts and pieces are also collected into a plastic box as I cut them from scraps from other projects.  The box itself had become a real mess, with finished 4.5" hearts mixed in with the pieces for more.  I spent some time and organized the box so that I could more easily find blocks for the next row of the quilt these go into.


Lots of colors to choose from, and all cut to the 2.5" x 4.5" pieces needed.


Lots of finished hearts were in that box too. The next row of this quilt will be my Leader/Enders this next week.    

Check out more Rainbow Scrap Challenge fun today!
https://superscrappy.blogspot.com/

12 comments:

Vicki in MN said...

What a great explosion of colors to look at while having coffee this morning! I just heard that mushrooms are making a comeback.

Cathy said...

I love seeing others’ scrap chunk ideas (and the scraps themselves, too, of course). I received a big brown grocery bagful of colorful scraps last week and have been at a loss as to how to prep and sort them. You’ve shown me the way, and now my brain is reeling with ideas! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Isn’t it funny how no one ever complains that they have run out of scraps…
You have made great use of your scraps in your projects. Your red wall hanging looks fabulous. Gail at the Cozy Quilter

The Joyful Quilter said...

SEW much quilty goodness going on at your house, Sara, and I spy a lot of RED!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I think you've been having a lot of fun in your sewing room this week, Sara! I love the finish of your SAHRR wall-hanging. You came up with the perfect border for it! That mushroom print is adorable, too. That often happens to me - I pull out a fun print for one block and it makes it way into several other projects!

Jenny said...

Whew! You have been so busy sewing up a storm, it's hard to keep up with you. Well done, and the little wall hanging is lovely.

Far Side of Fifty said...

That is such a pretty border on the first piece....you have been busy!

Julie in GA said...

You have so many wonderful sets of blocks in the works! The mushroom fabric is adorable!

grammajudyb said...

Oh!I have to find some of that Toadstool print. My youngest granddaughter has a little side hustle with a teacher friend. They make mushie jewelry and charms etc, to sell at festivals and such! Trinkets, Treasures and Toadstools is their name.
Your SAHRR finish is fabulous. Project boxes help me stay somewhat organized too! Looks like you are rocking it!

Kate said...

The red and white wall hanging turned out beautifully, love that red and white pieced border. You've done well on the scrappy front this week!

Janice said...

You have been so productive this week. I also love the little toadstool fabric. it adds a nice bit of whimsy.

Susie H said...

Lots of cutting & sewing last week. I'm impressed that, not only do you have completed blocks, but you also cut up scraps for future blocks. I too like having leaders & enders ready to go!