Pages

Sunday, July 30, 2023

Past and present

We have a houseful of family here this weekend, as both sons-in-law are playing in a golf tournament with my husband. They played in a practice round on Friday followed by a dinner, then tournament rounds Saturday and again today.  One daughter and 2 grandkids arrived about supper time Friday.  The others came on Saturday morning. 



Conversation with my daughter Friday evening turned to vintage clothes, which reminded her that as a kid she loved trying on my wedding dress.  She thought the last time she could fit into it she was a 7th grader.  Granddaughter Sophia is 11 and will be in 6th grade next year.  Of course we had to get that dress out of the garment bag so she could try it on.  I'm guessing this might be the only time it will fit her, because she's probably destined to be much taller than me.


Here I am wearing the dress - and 3" heels - almost 47 years ago.  I actually made my own dress, Dave's shirt, and the 2 bridesmaid dresses. My best friend's sister managed a Minneapolis fabric shop at the time, and she got me the fabric at cost - about $50 total for all of it. The fabric is a "silky" ivory fabric, but I don't remember what it is called.  The other dresses were the same fabric, but red.  There are a LOT of covered buttons up the bodice front and along the long cuffs.   

5 comments:

Kate said...

Enjoy the family time this weekend. Very fun wedding photo. I was going to make my own dress, but My Guy begged me not too (I don't sew well under pressure). So kudos to you for finishing all of that before the wedding.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

you were talented to do that many dresses and a shirt! I wore a mini dress to thee courthouse that I bought for $14 if I remember right on sale :) Mike wore jeans

Nann said...

Your dress is lovely and what fun for your granddaughter to try it on. What a nice family gathering for you all.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Fun to see your grand in your dress, fun to see your wedding photo too! Leisure suits were all the rage:)

Moneik said...

Beautiful and so cool to see! My mom made my bridesmaid dresses, Paul's vest and the vest for the ring bearer, and my flower girls dress. We got the purple satin on clearance after Halloween for 75% off. $27 for all the purple yardage.