Pages

Saturday, February 24, 2024

RSC24 - Week #8

Today I'm at a retreat and enjoying friends, good food, and plenty of time to just sew.  My husband had to find someone else to go with him to the final Jackrabbit men's basketball game to be held in Frost Arena.  Frost opened midway through the basketball season our freshman year.  When the season begins next fall, the totally remodeled arena will be First Bank & Trust Arena.


This week I did quite a bit of fabric organizing, but also did plenty of sewing, mostly with red.  Four more String Beads blocks happened.  Two red ones came first.  The blue ones happened because I was trying to lessen the depth in the blue/purple scrap bin.  There 3 more blue and 2 purple ones partially done on my table - because those strings were handy, and overflowing.  Barely a dent in that blue/purple scrap bin, but the red one is definitely not as full as it was at the beginning of February.  


This is the paper pieced Bonnie Hunter block (2023) called Morning Glory.  One would think that because the sections are paper pieced that the block would come out perfectly.  Guess again!  The units with both red and green were just a bit small for some reason, but it is put together now and staying that way.  It joins the blocks already made in yellow, aqua, and pink. 


While reorganizing the Quilts of Valor fabrics this week, I made use of a couple of the scraps to make these 2 Zipper blocks.  Several Quilts of Valor blocks were kitted up at the same time, and those may get sewn together while at this retreat. 


Do you get new ideas from the RSC posts every week?  I sure do!  Last Saturday I saw these 16-patch blocks while surfing various RSC posts.
https://zanasninis.blogspot.com/2024/02/power-outage.html
They really caught my eye, and because there are 5 small tins FULL of 1.5" squares that I've cut over the years from scraps - you know I just had to make some.  Thanks for the inspiration Katie Z!  These could become the centers of any number of different blocks - and I have no idea which will happen, but for now I'm going to enjoy adding these to my Rainbow Scrap Challenge blocks.  There is a whole bag full of various colors of these with me today at the retreat, as they make a perfect Leader/Ender while sewing. 

Let's see what else is going on in the RSC world . . .
https://superscrappy.blogspot.com/ 

6 comments:

Maggie said...

Love the way you use your strings in the blocks, I definitely got inspired to create these blocks, it is a great idea.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Hope you're having lots of fun at the retreat, Sara! Your string bead blocks are wonderful, and so is the Morning Glory block. I definitely do get lots of inspiration looking at the RSC posts every week, and your 16 patch blocks are calling to me today!

chrisknits said...

Looks like a productive retreat! Our guild has one in September and I am already thinking about what patterns I will take. LOL! I have some that I plan to get to each year, maybe I should plan on those getting the nod.

Kate said...

Very fun blocks! You've made good use of your red and green scraps.

The Joyful Quilter said...

You constructed some really lovely RED blocks this week!!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Happy Stitching!! You have some great blocks!