Pages

Wednesday, January 12, 2022

Farmers Wife and RSC blocks

This will be kind of a busy week with not a lot of extended sewing time on any particular day.  Mostly that is due to having to work more hours again after a couple of weeks of very few hours.  I must keep reminding myself that every hour worked is money I can spend on fabric or books or save for a future adventure.  This morning is my annual mammogram, and tomorrow may involve a little afternoon road trip with my husband. Something is on my normally empty calendar every day this week.  


The Farmer's Wife Sampler blocks are so near to being complete.  By the end of February I should have them all made and be able to start laying them out for a complete top.  I had forgotten to make last week's blocks, but managed to sew them yesterday after work.  Pine Tree and Seasons are now added to the stack, and I even got the sashing on them.  


And because I really felt the need to play just a little bit with red these Square in a Square blocks happened.  I have a LOT of black and white prints in the stash.  After seeing some fun scrappy blocks on Sane, Crazy, Crumbly Quilting blog a few days ago I got the idea to make a few of these just for fun.

I did these using just 3.5" squares from the box.  I cut 2 black and white ones diagonally once for each of these.  And once sewn I just trimmed them to 5" square.  We'll see . . . maybe a whole collection of different colors would be fun in a table topper or pillow.  Or maybe I should make next month's color the next round of triangles and just keep building around the block until it's big enough to use for something fun.  I'm betting some fun ideas could come from my readers.   

4 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

You're so close to finishing these blocks! I liked Cathy's blocks too, the red looks so nice with the black & white background fabrics, happy stitching!

Nann said...

Yes, a couple of days unscheduled and then a day with overlapping obligations. The "chip" blocks are a great scrapbuster and they'll be useful in future projects.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

What fun those blocks are!

Far Side of Fifty said...

Love that pine tree block!