Pages

Wednesday, January 26, 2022

Stay At Home Round Robin

Ironically - stay at home is taking on a new meaning this week.  We were close contacts to a positive Covid case over the weekend so we'll be mostly staying home now since we learned this on Tuesday.  I'm sure we've been exposed many, many times over the past couple of years without knowing it.  We are vaccinated and boosted, so not very concerned, but we'll be cautious.

I just couldn't decide whether I wanted to take part in the online Stay At Home Round Robin this year or just watch the interesting and creative ways other quilters design each week's challenge.  But, then that little red house block gave me the idea that it could be my center block this year.  So on Monday I began to play with some ideas.  


The first challenge (last week) was adding something with curves.  My first (less than creative) idea was to add these curved pieces on each corner.  These are NOT actually attached yet because I am not very excited about it.  Now I'm actually thinking about cutting a tiny "curvy" heart and have it coming out of one of the chimneys.  Or adding a curvy "vine" of ribbon on that red border area.  I do have a pretty clear idea of how I want to add the diamonds for Round #2.  

While I had the red scraps still out on Monday I made a couple more small 4.5" hearts to add to the growing collection.  There are now 7 red hearts, including the 2 new ones in the middle row.


However, when I layed them all together like this I noticed something.  The first 2 hearts I made (top row) had larger top triangles.  The pattern I'm using calls for 1" squares added to make those corners, and I obviously used 1.5" squares in those first 2 blocks.  And the difference really shows up  when they are next to each other.  There are a few other earlier ones in other colors that have the bigger squares too.  Darn!!!

But I think once they are framed the size difference in those tiny corner triangles won't be so obvious.  At least that is what I'm hoping.  

2 comments:

Jeanna said...

Adding the heart above one of the chimneys is a cute idea. This round robin will be fun to watch come together.

Vicki in MN said...

Great idea to use the house block up right away in your SAHRR.