Pages

Monday, August 21, 2023

Design Wall Monday - what's next?

One more set of blocks is destined to be a finished quilt top fairly soon. 

The Framed Friendship Squares were layed out on the Design Floor early on Saturday morning, with the plan to start sewing rows together.  Guess what?  They are still on the floor this morning.  I will need to pick them up before tomorrow morning however because my cleaning angel arrives at 8:30 and shouldn't have to vacuum around them just because I got distracted.

Hmmm - just when I thought I was focused on finishing some projects, a new distraction popped up and I spent most of the day Saturday playing with scraps. It was FUN!


I really had absolutely NO intentions of doing any more paper piecing in the near future.  And then Bonnie Hunter released her pattern for Morning Glories.   Yes - I was weak and did purchase (and download) that pattern on Friday and then made one block on Saturday.  That was one distraction.


It needs a good pressing yet, but this is a fun block.  Every single piece came from the scrap bins for this one.  Morning Glories might become a new Rainbow Scrap Challenge block. 


While I was pawing through the scrap bins, another distraction got my attention.  Last weekend our Sew Vintage group got a demo of the Potato Chip blocks that have gone viral online lately.  These lend themselves to different sizes and different layouts.  I chose to make my pieces 2.5 x 4.5, mostly because there are already a whole box full of them that I've been using for the Small Hearts.  There are 5 blocks now hanging in the closet clipped to one of the recently emptied hangers. Distraction #2.


And then there was Distraction #3 - the Crumb Challenge for our guild's upcoming quilt show in October.  I played with a couple of ideas for the challenge, which must include some element of crumb quilting.  I've decided it's not my favorite thing, but I do like what I've come up with so far.  It must remain a mystery until after the quilt show. 

Sunday was a travel day to present a Quilt of Valor about 90 miles from here. More on that later this week.  Maybe today I'll get some rows assembled on the Framed Friendship Squares.  Or maybe another row for Scrappiness Is Happiness. 

What is on your design wall today?
https://smallquiltsanddollquilts.blogspot.com/

9 comments:

Sharon M said...

I might cave on the BKH Morning Glory pattern as well. Just waiting to see whether or not I win her lotto... Love that block!!
Sharon M

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I saw that pattern on Bonnie's blog and thought it looked interesting but didn't want to pay for one more thing!!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love that BH Morning Glory design,too! Your block is really pretty! I didn't succumb to purchasing it, but I might have to. Have fun figuring out your crumb project!

LA Paylor said...

ooooo the citrus colored block, is such a clever color placement, making a very dynamic block. Bonnie hunter's? it's so cool.
LeeAnna

Bonnie said...

Squirrels are always fun to follow. I'll skip the paper piecing and take a look at the potato chip blocks. What a great way to use up the 2.5" strips I keep cutting. I also like those Framed Friendship Squares. Did you take a photo of them so you don't have to figure out a new layout? Have a quilty week.

Nann said...

Morning Glories is calling to me and now that I've seen your initial block I'm more tempted. Meanwhile--I like the way the friendship blocks connect with one another. You'll use a lot of squares in the other blocks.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Your Morning Glory pattern is really pretty!

Vicki in MN said...

Too funny, as I was reading and seeing your set of blocks you are going to finish soon-I thought she will need to start something new soon, LOL. And here you already did it, haha. I keep seeing all those potato chip blocks and think I should get out my 2.5 x 4.5 die and cut a bunch. Time, I need more of it!

Kate said...

I rarely buy patterns any more, but I feel in love with Bonnie's Morning Glories too. Looking forward to seeing your version come together. I'm thinking maybe I'll use it as a scrap buster project for next year (after I finish a quilts this year).