Pages

Friday, August 18, 2023

This 'n That

ColorCatchers have to be one of the best inventions ever - at least for quilters.


First of all, I never ever wash a quilt in warm or hot water.  Cold water is always my choice, especially when washing Quilts of Valor because they usually have lots of reds and dark blue.  I use 2 or 3 per quilt, depending on the size and the colors in the quilt.  This was how 3 of them looked after washing a recent QOV with a red backing and mostly blue and white on the front. No bleeding into the white, and it's obvious the ColorCatchers did their job.  
 

One more flimsy finished this week.  This is another child sized or lap sized quilt, and is made using triangles trimmed from other projects plus yardage.


That horse print looks like cave paintings, and was a purchase on our New Mexico road trip last February.  There is still enough of it left to make a pillowcase or use in something else. 


Remember all the paper piecing for the quilt from the cruise?  I used one of the block patterns and made it in patriotic fabrics.  This is much more my style.  

7 comments:

Kate said...

Color catchers are definitely life savers when you use a dark color or red in a quilt with light colors. Love the patriotic fabrics the paper pieced block. Is that a new project or a one and done thing?

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I always use color catchers too. That last block you showed is really nice.

Nann said...

Yes, color catchers pick up a lot! I really like your cruise block variation!

Ramona said...

Your patriotic cruise block is wonderful! And, yes... thank goodness for Color Catchers.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Yes! That last block is a beauty!

Tired Teacher 2 said...

I use Color Catchers all the time. Oooh, are you going to make a patriotic version of the cruise quilt?

ytsmom said...

I understand why you wash on cold, but I am guessing that most QOV will be washed in warm water. Doesn't it make more sense to initially wash in warm water? Also, I find that if a quilt is a 'bleeder', it's very helpful to get it out of the washer as soon as the cycle is finished. I find that color can transfer is a wet quilt that has bled lays on its self.