Pages

Saturday, August 19, 2023

RSC23 - Week #33

 What's going on around the Rainbow Scrap Challenge world for mid August?
https://superscrappy.blogspot.com/


On the sewing front, it appears that I've gotten a lot done. That is a bit deceptive however.  It really helps when the blocks are already done, and sometimes even rows are already done.  It doesn't take long to turn those into a finished quilt top.  Three tops were completed in the past week - Batik Floating Stars (top left), Batik Saturday Sampler (bottom left) and Painted Horses (bottom right).  The other 2 flimsies saw forward progress - Small Hearts got 2 new vertical rows, and the Scrappiness Is Happiness project has 2 rows complete.  I'm gradually making use of block sets.

LOTS of yellow shows up in that top row of pictures.  Floating Stars and Small Hearts are both RSC projects.  I need to make at least 3 more vertical rows of the small heart blocks, and I know there will be some yellow ones in coming weeks.  The Scrappiness blocks are all done and just need assembly.


Up next for quilt tops?  I think it will be another Framed Friendship Square top. Back in January I pulled out 20 of the blocks that had more of a "boy" vibe to them and made a top. There were 15 more completed blocks and that project box is FULL of more Friendship Squares (6" squares shared by guild members when they travel).  I need 20 of them for a good size top, so 4 more were made on Thursday after work, and 1 more is cut out and ready to sew.  That project box has a few other "sample" blocks made with the squares for future quilt ideas, and there are dozens more squares to be used.  Years ago I made a queen sized quilt using those squares in the center of stars; that quilt is on the bed in the basement bedroom. 


My final RSC sewing for this week was a couple of Windmill blocks added to that collection.  Several more sets of blades are cut and in the project box - ready to go.  These will be an on-going set of blocks into the next year.  

I'm really happy to pare down some of the block sets, and have them set into tops, but now the assembled tops are adding up quickly.  I love having a variety of blocks to sew each month.  Variety is the spice of life, right?  Now it's time to decide which ones will get quilted first.  I've done several kid/lap sized tops this year to donate, so those will probably be first in line. 

Happy sewing!  

6 comments:

Kate said...

You've done really well at moving projects along this year. You've got such fun RSC quilts in progress. I really love your rainbow scrappy hearts.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I like having a variety of blocks and projects to work on, too, and it's always fun to see what you've been working on! I love the floating stars and the little hearts - I need to put those on my list to make. Have fun, whatever you work on this week!

Jenny said...

So nice fo see all these various projects, there's certainly been busy times in your sewing room lately.

Susie H said...

Great collection of blocks to work on for RSC and donations. I like the look of the Friendship Frame blocks. I've got a collection of fabrics for I Spy quilts and this block would be a good one for that. Thanks for the inspiration!

Far Side of Fifty said...

You have so much happening in your sewing room good for you!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Please don't undervalue the work Past You did to set Present You up for quilty success this week, Sara. You did a fabulous job!!