Pages

Saturday, August 12, 2023

RSC23 - Week #32, more yellow

 Digging through my yellow stash and scraps the past couple of weeks showed me that when I buy yellow it tends to be a blender type of fabric - tone-on-tone or small very subtle prints.  Or it's polka dots, or a big floral. How predictable am I?

So about the first of August I stopped into the local fabric shop to look for a yellow print that didn't read subtle/boring or have polka dots on it, because my RSC blocks need some fun added.  The lemon print brings a big smile to my face.  First thing was to make a couple of the Churn Dash blocks for the baby quilt collection I have on-going this year in 12" and a few 6". 


Then the lemons went into a Pyramid block, and a Windmill block. So cute and whimsical, and I still have about a fat quarter left so I know it will show up again somewhere.


The only other yellow that happened this week was a final yellow Floating Star block for that project.  And I made 2 little Hourglass blocks with the trimmed triangles.  


A couple of small mug rugs were dropped into the mail on Thursday. My daughter wanted a small one for her desk. She works from home 4 days a week, and has a big old desk that belonged to her husband's grandfather.  They refinished it, so she wants to protect that desk.  The dark one used another leftover Sewcialites blocks and is 6" square. The Halloween hexagon shaped one is all from the scrap bins.  I may have to make more of these because that one was really fun!

This has NOT been a good week for sewing time, as my "semi-retired" status was put to the test every day.  I had more hours logged by Wednesday than I had the whole month of July.  On the fun side of life - there was a Quilt of Valor presentation event on Wednesday evening, and some socializing with friends on Friday afternoon. 

Lots more RSC fun was likely going on elsewhere this week . . .

7 comments:

Bonnie said...

Such a lovely bunch of yellow blocks. I had to enlarge the lemon fabric to see all it has going for it. It looks like some sort of writing. Sorry that work is getting in the way of fun! At least you squeezed some socializing in too.

Kathy S. said...

Love those churn dash blocks!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your lemon print is fun! I had to do some yellow shopping this week, too, and I do often seem to end up buying blenders or small prints. Cute mug rugs - your daughter will love them!

Gwyned Trefethen said...

Good yellow fabrics are tough to find. So many err on the side of mustard. You found something keepers.

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Love your sunny yellow blocks, Sara!! Especially the pyramid!!! And isn't that fun that your daughter requested a mini quilt/mug rug!!!

grammajudyb said...

I had to giggle at your comment about not polka dots, cause your lemon fabric read polka dots, till I.enlarged it! I’m a dotted fabric buyer too! I gave big dots, little dots, multi sized dots and even other things that look like dots! 😀

Far Side of Fifty said...

Cute lemon fabric!