Pages

Monday, May 20, 2024

Design Wall Monday - Sea otter and crab

 What's on YOUR design wall today?
https://smallquiltsanddollquilts.blogspot.com/
My design wall this week holds some small projects that really need to be finished.


The quilting has been started on the second Feeling Crabby mini quilt.  I made 2 of these crab blocks, and the first one is already hanging up, in our beach themed guest bathroom.  In addition to this little quilt, I'm working on a patriotic door hanger.  I've pulled out a set of Rainbow Scrap Challenge blocks that had been forgotten this year.  And I have some binding to finish on a strawberry mini quilt.  

I also want to share a very satisfying finish - the Mosaic Sea Otter wall hanging.


The sea otter wall hanging was a purchase in June 2023 on the Alaskan cruise we took.  I got this one in Juneau, at a small but amazing quilt shop.  Changing Tides carries the most impressive variety of Alaskan themed fabrics and kits, and is within easy walking distance from the cruise ship docks. This was a laser cut kit designed by Ellie Millen of Small Pond Designs.


There were so many stunning kits in the shop that it was hard to choose.  I purchased this one in particular because we did a sea otter excursion at Sitka, where we saw thousands of sea otters as well as whales, bald eagles, and huge seals.  It's 15" by 33" finished, done with ironed on applique.  I decided against any edge stitching to hold the applique down because I didn't want to lose the crisp sharp edges and points.  The quilter used a design that looks like waves in the water, and since I don't plan to wash this the dense quilting should be enough to hold that applique.  I've ordered a 36" wire hanger for this one and plan to hang it in our upstairs guest bedroom. 

7 comments:

Vicki in MN said...

I bet that was fun watching the otters frolic about, I love watching them at the zoo. You'll have to walk into the guest bedroom every day just to look at this cute finish!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

What a great souvenir of your trip, Sara! This turned out beautifully. Have fun working on your other small projects, too - they are so satisfying to finish!

Bonnie said...

What a fabulous reminder of your Alaskan adventure. I was in Alaska years ago and ended up buying an Alaskan version of Sun Bonnet Sue and Overall Sam. I'm not fond of them and wonder why I bought it although I imagine there weren't a lot of choices then. Of course, it still is only half done. Now an otter would have been done right a way. Good job getting it almost finished... I hope to see the finish soon.

cityquilter grace said...

finishing small projects is always a morale booster....both very nice too

Nann said...

Love the otter. I bought a FQ bundle of Alaskan batiks at the shop in Sitka.

Kate said...

The sea otter wall hanging turned out beautifully! Sounds like you've got some quick finishes coming up soon.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Sea Otter is really cute! You are one busy lady...I bet it is raining there like here.