Pages

Wednesday, May 22, 2024

Finding backings

 Yesterday was a cold rainy day, so you know where I spent my time.

My first priority was to sew that patriotic door hanger that was cut out.  It is another Riley Blake kit, with the name Patriotic Dream.  Already I like this one better than the tulip one. The color palette is much more to my liking of course.  


Priority #2 was getting my husband to help me tighten the screws on this quilt rack I was trying to put together on Monday.  Turns out I don't have the hand strength I used to have.  This is for the basement guest bedroom, although I'll need to do a bit of rearranging before I can move it in there. So for now it's in the basement family room (and husband's office) - next to the 30' long putting green.  You can see just a tiny corner of the putting green in the lower left.


And my final priority for Tuesday was finding backings for several small projects, including that red/white/blue door hanger. I keep the backing pieces trimmed from big quilts all together in a drawer so it's easy to find what I need. This black and white swirl backing will work great for this valentine table runner I made back in February.  The pattern was Smitten - another Villa Rosa pattern card, but with a few changes.  There was a grey/white print that was the right size for the door hanger.


Suitable backing choices were also made for 2 octagon shaped table toppers that were hiding out in the Big Grey Tote.  Both seem worth rescuing and finishing.  So now these need to be quilted.  

A few more scraps were cut into useable sizes, and also used to kit up some blocks for RSC sewing yet this week.  If it keeps raining I should get a lot done around here.

4 comments:

Kate said...

You have been busy. I need to scour my stash for some backings. I should do that as I reorganize. Fingers crossed you get lots done during the yucky weather.

Vicki in MN said...

Finding backings, especially in the stash, is always a good feeling of moving it closer to a finish. We got some rain, a teeny bit of hail and we lost power at 6 pm last night just as I was going to make supper. Out came the gas grill that has a burner on the side:)

Nann said...

Sunshine here today and warmish temperatures. It's great to find a backing in the stash that will work for the project at hand!

cityquilter grace said...

oh love the patriotic piece...very nice indeed...