Pages

Friday, January 17, 2020

Batik Stars progress

Oops!!  I think I remember why this particular quilt became a UFO in the first place.  Do you see the difference in the length of the block and length of the sashing?  What was I thinking when I cut these sashing strips?


This quilt was actually a Saturday Sampler from 2007 called Shivery Snowmen.  There is an applique snowman block that goes with each of the pieced star blocks. But I didn't make the snowmen blocks but I do have the patterns - somewhere.  This has been on my UFO list for several years now.  I believe I did pull these blocks out a couple of years ago and bought the sashing and border fabrics.  That's also probably when I cut those sashings at 12" instead of 12.5".  And probably why it became a UFO all over again.  

Since I cut those sashing strips 1/2" too short - sometime in the past - I decided now to just piece them and I think once this is quilted it won't be very noticeable.  What IS noticeable however, is the quality of my sewing back in 2007.  I've gotten much better at cutting and sewing accurately since then.  I've been making quilts since the 1980s, but really only started really focusing on accuracy a few years ago.  I still learn something new all the time, which is great.  


So, here are the 12 blocks with the (pieced) sashing strips added.  I may rearrange a couple of these before sewing them into rows.  I have plenty of navy blue left to finish the sashing but am hoping there is enough for binding too.  And the border fabric in the project box is a Kaffe print with lots of brown and other colors.  It will be fine I think.  

I'm setting a goal of finishing the top of this by Sunday evening - while watching it snow again.  Actually a couple of focused hours should be all I need.  But it's so easy to become distracted in my sewing room by other pretty projects that aren't so old.  


3 comments:

Tired Teacher said...

Looking good. You're right, the pieces sashing will not be that noticeable when the quilt is finished. I've also learned a lot since I started quilting: that's what keeps it interesting.

Julierose said...

Those star blocks are gorgeous:))))...
the sashing will be fine--I am sure the "quilt police" won't be knocking on your door either!! lol

I keep on trying to learn as I go and I still make a lot of mistakes--but, I tell myself this is a "hobby" and supposed to be fun and relaxing...not a test...Hoe the rest of your sewing goes well...hugs, Julierose

Far Side of Fifty said...

Sometimes my Mom adds a corner block to the sashing to make up a difference:)