Pages

Friday, January 3, 2020

Starting a new year for Rainbow Scrap Challenge


January's color for RSC20 is GREEN and I have a plan.  I also have lots of green so I've gotten a start on my RSC blocks for this year.  The photo above shows 4 Bead (or Chandelier) blocks.  I saw these on 3 different blogs last year and really loved how they look.  Set on point they look like a beaded curtain or the crystals hanging from a chandelier. 

My plan is to make these from charms because I had 2 charm packs of the Mama's Cottage fabric line and there are 4-5 of each color in the packs.  So, since these blocks use a 5" charm, plus a couple of 2.5" squares, I can make good use of these charm packs.  Whatever color is selected for the month will be the color charms I pull out.  I'm doing a scrappy white on white background because there is a lot of white in this fabric line.  And I'll have 2 leftover 2.5" colored squares from each block.


I'm also continuing with the Ohio Star blocks I started last year.  I want enough to make a good sized quilt, so I'm just going to keep making these until I have enough.  Usually I only did one block from each fabric but I got carried away cutting and ended up making 2 of these green Ohio Star blocks. 

The other block that I'm continuing from last year is the Rainbow String blocks.  I haven't made a new green block yet but it won't take long to do.  

And I may play with some other blocks using the monthly colors just to use up more scraps.  And maybe a bag or two will happen in the colors chosen.  After all, that is the whole idea - using up what I have already.

Check out the Rainbow Scrap Challenge:  http://superscrappy.blogspot.com/ 


14 comments:

Alison V. said...

These blocks are great! I love the green fabric you used in the the Ohio Star block! I am going to try to get back into the RSC this year after a couple years away.

Linda Enneking said...

Your blocks are very pretty. I wish I could make quarter squares as nicely as yours.

Tired Teacher said...

I saw several of the Bead block quilts on blogs last year, too. They were very pretty. Using a multi-colored charm pack will be perfect.

Mari said...

Love the Ohio Star! I saw those chandelier blocks last year, too. They're very enticing! These look like fun projects and a great start to a fun 2020.

The Joyful Quilter said...

It sounds like you've got a wonderful plan in place for working thru SEW many scraps with the Rainbow Scrap Challenge!!

Julierose said...

Lovely blocks you've chosen--I am still pondering what block to make here lol . I haven't done this SAL in a few years.... hugs, Julierose

Cathy said...

I love your chandelier blocks! They would’ve been on my list this year too, but I had tI trim it down a bit. So I’ll happily watch yours come together!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love the chandelier blocks, too! Yours look so pretty in green. They'll be perfect for all the colors of the rainbow!

maggie fellow said...

I know the chandelier blocks are sooo tempting - great colors

Cathy said...

Those Chandelier blocks seemed to be all the rage last year and I've already seen them on several blogs this year. I think it's a wonderful block for scraps. And you can never go wrong with Ohio Stars in any size or color.

Turid said...

Beautiful blocks.

Susie H said...

You're so right .... the chandelier blocks sure make beautiful RSC 2020 quilts. The hio stvar blocks are beautiful too.

Jo said...

Great choices for the year! Its great that we are starting with this refreshing spring green.

Cheryll said...

Great start to a new challenge year...AnD I LoVe the colour GReeN too.