Pages

Thursday, May 19, 2022

Kiddy churn dash blocks

 I've gotten carried away with these 12" churn dash blocks for a guild baby quilt project.  My original plan had been to just make a couple of them from scraps.  And so I did make 2 of them from things I had in the stash.  But then I bought some fun fat quarters on our road trip, and the blocks have begun to multiply.  There are 3 more cut out and laying next to my sewing machine, ready to go.  I can get at least 2 out of each pair of fat quarters.  

I definitely love churn dash blocks, almost as much as I love star blocks.  There is currently a quilt top made with a variation of the churn dash hanging in the closet.  The block was a free one from Fat Quarter Shop called Wisdom - which is basically just a churn dash with a 4-patch added to the center.  I need to get this one quilted and bound.  I also noticed there were extra blocks left over from the Wisdom quilt still hanging in the closet too.  That is "seed" for another project. 

Lately I've been seeing churn dash blocks online with pinwheels and other blocks added to the centers for some fun variation, or with the blocks made using scraps from more than one fabric.  And of course it can be adapted to pretty much any size.  It's a terrific block for scrappy sewing - no matter what size or variations we choose to make. 

OK - time to FOCUS - on Saturday Sampler for this month, and finishing some small projects. 

5 comments:

cityquilter grace said...

there's something about churn dash blocks...i love 'em too...

Anorina @SameliasMum said...

These are fun churn dash blocks. They're like Pringles... you can't stop and just one.

Anonymous said...

I have been making some churn dash blocks too and find them to go up fast. Thanks for your posts to inspire me. KC

Vicki in MN said...

Looks like you had some sewing fun there with the new fabrics!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

I love Churn dashes too!!! and these are so cute!! what fun fabrics you are using!!!