Pages

Sunday, January 28, 2024

A little QOV sewing

During Pat Sloan's Autumn Wonders sew-along last year, I made 2 sets of blocks. The first set used fall fabrics and her layout pattern. It's a finished top hanging in the closet. But the second set of 9 blocks were in red/white/blue for a future Quilt of Valor.


This past week I decided to find 3 more blocks to make it 12, which is good for a simple sampler using sashing and cornerstones, plus borders.  There is a whole binder full of possible 12" block patterns I've saved.  Three blocks from the Moda Blockheads 5 (online) sew-along seemed ideal.  This one is Morning Star by Barbara Groves (Me & My Sister Designs).  


This is All Stars by Lisa Bongean (Primitive Gatherings).  I love the look of this block, but it uses 32 little HSTs - 2.5" each.  It took some time.  But It's a sharp block. 


Finally, I did this one - Candy Striped Stars by Sara Thomas (SARIDITTY). It's a 12" finished paper pieced block and it gave me fits trying to make it. The pieces were so big, and I had trouble with a couple of sections.  This one is all scraps too.  I like the results, but have decided NOT to make this one again in the near future.


While I was playing in the red/white/blue fabrics and scraps again, I discovered some 2.5" strips, so a few more Rail Fence blocks were sewn.  And I tested out the Quilt of Valor Foundation's challenge block for this year - an Ohio Star.  

4 comments:

Kate said...

Very fun QOV blocks. Candy Striped Stars is really cute, but I bet it's a bit of a handful to make. Hopefully you've got time for some more stitching today.

Tired Teacher said...

Great blocks for QOV. I haven’t turned on my machine for months - no motivation and a still aching back. Hopefully, I will soon be scheduled for the nerve ablation.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Such pretty blocks! I couldn't pick a favorite!

Vicki in MN said...

The Ohio star block is a winner for sure. And Morning Star is sweet too.