Pages

Monday, January 1, 2024

Design Wall Monday - Happy 2024!!

 Happy New Year!  If all goes according to plan today we'll be spending the day with family, having a late Christmas together.  My fingers are crossed.  

So, what is my plan for this week and for the month of January?  My biggest priority will be to finish the top for the 2023 Saturday Sampler. I may rearrange the pieced blocks a bit for better color placement.  There is still a bit of trimming to size needed for 3 of the 4 applique blocks, and some sashing to cut for the top and bottom rows.  Then I can do some math to see if I have enough of the background for the pieced outer border.  If not, then I'll do some plain borders and it will still be good. That top left block has a darker green in it that I'm not sure I like, so I might remake that one too.  


My second priority for this week is to add the sashing and cornerstones to this Quilt of Valor.  These are the scrappy 4-Square Star blocks I've been making.  I'll add the sashing to one side of each block before doing a final layout of block location.  

The sashing is a medium darker blue, and the cornerstones are this light print with reds and blues.  I think the final outer border will need to have the red be dominant to pull all these together.  These are all from my big stash of patriotic fabrics, and there might be a red in there too if I'm lucky.  Also, I've been working through the QOV block pieces that were on the design board - some 9-patch blocks, a couple of Floating Stars, a scrappy churn dash, and a couple Twinkle Stars.  All of those will end up in future Quilts of Valor.  

The third priority for this week - to keep up with the Indigo Way mystery.  Since I'm only making 1/4 of the number of blocks it hasn't been difficult to keep up so far.  These are the Clue #6 units.  I'm kind of guessing that the final reveal COULD happen this Friday, but it's a mystery so who knows!  I'm excited to see how these will all go together, but have been avoiding the temptation to play with layouts this time around.  

What's on YOUR design wall this New Year's Day?
https://smallquiltsanddollquilts.blogspot.com/

3 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

Love the Saturday Sampler, it is so cute! I love all the bright pops of color! The Quilt of Valor will be awesome:)

Far Side of Fifty said...

Happy New Year! Hope your plans for Christmas today all work out and no one is sick!

Kate said...

Your Saturday Sampler and QOV projects are moving along beautifully. You've done much better than I have at keeping up with the mystery. Good luck with your plans for January.