Pages

Saturday, January 6, 2024

RSC24 - Week #1 - green

 Play with green this month (week) began with some string sewing.


My Rainbow Connection quilt needs to be larger, so I've been making a few more blocks to add to it.  I started with pulling some of the darker green strings from the green scrap bin to make a string section for one of the additional blocks. 


While those green strings were laying around, I used some of the smaller ones to make the String Bead block section.  The first one I made as an experiment used a muslin foundation, but a paper foundation is going to work better.  


So, one dark green and one medium green String Bead block were quickly assembled, along with one Small Heart block.  


Four more of the green string sections are sewn, but not assembled into blocks yet.  The rogue pink one was my practice piece.  While I was digging into that scrap bin, several green pieces were cut for the little box holding the pieces for Potato Chip blocks, and the little box for Small Heart blocks. 
 

Three more Zipper blocks were born - with some fun green fabrics found deep in the scraps just waiting to be something.  I really like these. 


And 2 more Brighten blocks were added to the ones made in 2023.   

Wow - that is a LOT of green blocks for this week!  Did I make a dent in that green scrap bin?  Not noticeably!  That bin is just fluffed up and looks as full as ever.  


On Thursday morning I took my green and cream quilt (from 2023) into The Pin Cushion to find backing, and to leave it for quilting.  


The 9" blocks from the Sewcialites 2 sew-along are layed out in a star shape.  It's about 74" square.  For some reason this quilt makes me think of leprechauns and St Patrick's Day.

Let's see how others have made a splash into 2024 with green this week . . .
https://superscrappy.blogspot.com/

14 comments:

maggie fellow said...

fun green explosion at your house

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

What a lovely batch of green blocks! You've really started out the new year well. Your quilt is amazing. Isn't it fun when you get one back from the quilter? Happy New Year!

scraphappy said...

That is a lot of green blocks. Hard to believe that the fabric used wasn't noticeable! Even so, it is great to see the scraps put into such pretty projects.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Reading back through your recent posts this morning - you had a busy week! The New Year's Day Christmas with your family looks like fun and sounds yummy. I love all your green projects, especially the star full of Sewcialites blocks. It's amazing!

Kate said...

You are off to a strong start on the RSC this year. The setting for the Sewcialites blocks is so cool.

Mari said...

That is a lot of green blocks, which means a lot of projects! The green quilt at the end is stunning! Can't wait to see it quilted. Love the string beads, too.

Far Side of Fifty said...

You are having fun with green! That last quilt is very pretty:)

Cathy said...

Wow, Sara, you win the week with great green gobs of greasy…. Oops, wrong song! 🙃 Great green gobs of scrappy blocks!! I love your Zipper blocks. Yay Sara!!

cityquilter grace said...

gosh so many pretty greens...it's a color i don't often gravitate to but i can see that's an oversight on my part...great inspiration!

grammajudyb said...

Lots of green goodness in your sewing room this week!

Astrid said...

You've done a lot this week!(I've not even started). All those pretty green blocks! Love your star shaped Sewcialites 2.

Jenny said...

You have been stitching up a storm, green, green, everywhere!

Deb A said...

My goodness! You have gotten a great start with the RSC in green this week. So many lovely blocks and I just LOVE your green and cream quilt. So fun.

Preeti said...

I just pulled my green scraps. You are way ahead of the curve, Sara. Way to go!