Pages

Friday, January 12, 2024

Day 2 - a snow day

 The kids had a normal school day on Thursday, but it did snow off and on all day.  The unplowed streets presented a challenge when I took the kids to school in the morning and again in the afternoon when I picked them up.  We're having a snow day today.


My morning coffee buddy was Ella. She was pretty much attached at the hip all day long - and all night long in bed too.  I worked on binding a QOV for a couple hours yesterday morning, and then went to the grocery store to stock up on a few things because the weather prediction is for wind chills between -20 and -40 for the next 3 days.  Turned out to be a good decision. 

Grandpa arrived about 10 pm last night, and only had to drive in snowy conditions the last 20 miles or so, as the promised snowstorm had moved in here by early evening. This morning Ella is his buddy, curled up next to him as he reads his book.

We got maybe 5" of new snow overnight which I walked through in my tennis shoes this morning to get the snow boots Jack left in my car after school, and because I let my own snow boots in the car when I arrived on Wednesday afternoon.  Lesson learned grandma!!  The wind chill at noon was -17.

I did set up my sewing machine and little ironing board this morning.  Since I hadn't used this one in about 2 years, I'm sure glad I brought the manual with me because I couldn't remember how to wind a bobbin or thread the machine without looking in the booklet.  My first project was Vintage Delight - the first block in the Riley Blake Designs Challenge for 2024.  It's a weekly block reveal, usually for about 16 weeks.  These are 10" finished.  I'm planning to use up some 30s reproduction fabrics for the RBD Challenge this year since I have a lot of them.  

We're tucked in snug and probably won't go anywhere for a couple days. Grandpa plans to go home on Sunday as he has to attend their annual "all hands" meeting/training all of next week. 

4 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

we are getting the snow on Sunday - maybe more than the inch that I don't mind getting :( stay warm

Trish said...

How can I get a copy of your rainbow cat pattern please? Thanks so much. Trish Clements

Far Side of Fifty said...

Pretty block! Glad your husband made it there safely for the weekend.

Kate said...

I won't complain about our subzero temps, where you are is much colder! Hope you can get in lots of stitching this weekend. Stay warm!