Pages

Wednesday, October 4, 2023

Keeping busy

I'm not ready to navigate the stairs to my sewing room, or to sit at my machine yet.  But only doing hand stitching gets old quickly for me, so what else do I have to do? I'm a reader, so there has been plenty of time spent reading some good books. What else - sewing related - can I do?


There are kits galore in my sewing room.  Some are years old and some are recent purchases - and everything in between.  Some are big projects and some are very small.  

These 3 kits all offer things I can prep while standing at my kitchen counter.  The desert sky kit in the middle was purchased on our trip to Arizona last February.  It's a mini quilt with just a silhouette.  The fusible webbing can be traced and made ready to press onto the fabric in the kit.


Same thing with this Sea Otter wall hanging that I purchased in Juneau Alaska back in June.  The fusible can all be traced and ready to iron onto the fabric.


The pumpkin mini quilt was a very recent purchase online.  Oops!  It just jumped into my cart at Shabby Fabrics!  The prep for this kit involves cutting the small pieces for paper piecing.  So my small cutting mat and ruler, and a rotary cutter are upstairs where I can easily use them.


There are also some pillow kits waiting for attention - also some old and one very recent purchase.  The parts for this Christmas bench pillow can be cut as well.  

The added benefit of doing some tracing or cutting at my kitchen counter?  It gets me up and moving, which will keep my recovery moving along. 


The number 5 was selected for the APQ UFO Challenge for October.  I already had one of the 3 items completely done, and one more is already a flimsy.  The Pick a PIG had been selected by me months ago - the Scrambled Churn Dash.  I'm thinking that will now be replaced with one of the kits that are upstairs waiting for some tracing or cutting.  The Scrambled Churn Dash quilt can return to the list some other time.  

4 comments:

Tired Teacher 2 said...

The otter is adorable! ❤️

Far Side of Fifty said...

They all look like fun projects!

Vicki in MN said...

You should keep busy for a while with tracing/pressing onto the fabrics and then cutting will take up a chunk of time.

Nann said...

You're making good use of the time!