Pages

Saturday, October 7, 2023

RSC23 - Week #39

 First of all - thank you to everyone who has been sending me good thoughts for healing following my second hip replacement.  I'm definitely on the mend.  There has been very little pain, and I'm getting around fairly well except for stairs yet.  I can walk with my cane, but the physical therapist has suggested that I keep using the walker around the house for a little longer because it's making me walk straighter and likely to walk more often and further. OK then . . .

The only sewing in the past week has been hand stitching some binding.  But I'm getting restless and am really feeling the itch to be downstairs in my creative space.  I'm hoping I can navigate those stairs sometime in the next couple of days.

This wall hanging is all bound.  It's a mashup of 2 different projects, which I explain better here.  I've also finished binding a dozen of the 6" mug rugs in the stack. And they are in a RAINBOW of colors.  Those are probably my only nod to RSC this week.

Prior to surgery I had gathered a couple of kits requiring tracing and/or cutting - things I could work on standing at my kitchen counter. And the first thing I wanted to play with is this wall hanging purchased in Juneau Alaska in June.  I gathered my pencil, scissors, the kit, and the roll of fusible webbing, ready to trace all those little pieces. You know what is said about "best laid plans".  


Did I NOT read the front of the kit where is said "laser cut"?  HMMMM . . . there is a laser cut "puzzle" template made of freezer paper to iron onto the background.  And all those small colorful pieces are already fused and laser cut, ready to place into the open spaces in the puzzle.


How clever is this?  There is a numbered copy of the puzzle, and a colored list of which numbers go where based on each fabric.  The downside - is this one will have to wait until I'm downstairs to iron that first piece onto the background.  This will be fun, and it's a technique quite different than other applique I've done.  But, I must be patient.


The other applique kit is this mini quilt of the desert sunset, purchased on our NM/AZ road trip last February.  This one is now traced, but will have to wait for fusing once I get downstairs.

I'm eager to see what else is going on in the RSC world this week. With a focus on neutrals, I know I have a bunch of scrappy things for the next couple of weeks that will fit in nicely. 

It's Quilt Guild day (1st Saturday of each month), and we'll see if I feel up to going later this morning. It would be my first time driving myself.  The location is handicapped accessible so that should make it easier.  One of the sons-in-law is coming with a chainsaw and 3 grandkids to help Dave with some tree branch trimming and hauling today too.  Bet I'll need a nap by late afternoon. 

9 comments:

Mike Goad said...

wow you are allowed to drive already! Hip replacements sure have changed over the years. Glad to hear you are getting around so well. That quilt kit is neat to have the pieces laser cut

Jenny said...

So pleased that your recovery is coming along so well. That laser cut kit certainly saved you a lot of work from having to cut tiny narrow pieces.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Sorry to hear that your planned project didn't turn out to be what you thought it was, Sara, but glad to hear that you are recovering well from your surgery!! Did manage to get out to Quilt Guild today?

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your red and white wall-hanging is gorgeous, Sara! I love how you used up pieces and parts from two different QALs, plus that final border is perfect for it. The lazer kit of the otter looks like fun. Hope you get to go to your guild meeting - I bet it would feel good to get away for part of the day!

LA Paylor said...

yea on healing!
I sure like those kits... palm trees are a fave of mine
LeeAnna

Vicki in MN said...

If I were you I would have hubby go down and get you that iron! But you did good getting a lot of mug rugs bound. So glad to hear you don't have much pain with this surgery and are getting around well.

Mari said...

Wow, you're making great progress! That's great! Also, couldn't someone bring your machine upstairs for you? It's be worth it for some sanity!

Far Side of Fifty said...

Sounds like you feel pretty good, don't over do!

Nann said...

Glad your healing is progressing as it is supposed to. That mosaic otter will be a charming souvenir of your trip.