Pages

Wednesday, May 13, 2020

A finish and playing with scraps


I finally got the last side of this Happy Blocks quilt bound, and can check this one off the UFO list.  This is a child size quilt using charm squares that are framed.  I had a lot of cute charms from children's prints and used those for most of the blocks.  There are cars, monkeys, lady bugs, snakes, and lots more.  It's really bright and cheerful and will make a good donation quilt.


A little bit of random scrap play was all I've managed to accomplish so far this week for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge.  The second light blue gingham block has been made, along with another light blue string block.  The light blue was actually last month's color.  Both of these are RSC projects that are ongoing this year.  


On Monday I was browsing through some quilting blogs and saw a quilt that used the square-in-a-square block with pinwheels as the center square.  Pop!! A light bulb went off in my head.  I had a small bag of pinwheels made with leftovers from QOV blocks.  And I had a ton of blue and red scraps left over from QOV blocks.  Why not combine those leftovers?  


 The result is 6.5" square-in-a-square blocks.  I like them.  I don't know what they will become, but I'll keep making these a few at a time.  


My next task really needs to be CLEANING my sewing room.  It's a mess again and when it gets this bad there is a drain on the creativity.  However, I've been distracted by more fabric possibilities, so I know that a deep cleaning won't happen right away. 

4 comments:

cityquilter grace said...

love the pinwheels in a square....RWB is always a great combo

Ramona said...

Your finished quilt is adorable. You have some great blocks here today and I especially like the patriotic blocks at the end.

Tired Teacher 2 said...

Great idea for using the RWB pinwheels. The framed charms make a wonderful I Spy quilt for a child. My sewing room needs a deep clean (moving furniture to vacuum), but I just can’t get motivated to actually do it.

Jenny said...

Your pinwheels in a square are a great idea. I've got a bunch of four patches and I'm sure they would look equally good in a square too.