Pages

Friday, October 8, 2021

Y-seams & HSTs & Squares - - Oh My!

Y-seams are not my favorite thing!  Grrr!  Notice the blue pin near the top of this block?  It's holding that Y-seam in place until I can sew it by hand with a needle and thread.


This was Garden Path from the Farmers Wife Sampler book.  It's only 6.5" square, so all of the pieces are very very small.  Working on these blocks has been an excellent way to improve my accuracy and skills, but occasionally one of them gets the best of me. Happily all of those little HST are getting better and better. My points are even looking pretty good on this block. But that pesky Y-seam drove me nuts!  I almost took those blue strips off and pieced them with regular strips and then squared up.  But the pattern had them pieced like this and I want to stay as true to the pattern as possible.  The last one of those Y-seams will need to be stitched by hand.  Enough said on that topic!!


The other block for this week was Gentleman's Fancy.  It was easy - thank goodness! It started with that center square, and then cream triangles were added to all 4 sides.  And then a round of pink triangles, followed by bigger cream triangles, and finally the larger pink ones.  Square-in-a-square times 4.
 

And finally, I got the HSTs made for the Halloween pillow.  This 20" pillow front is ready to quilt, but I have no idea what I want that quilting to look like.  

Additionally - 5 new tulip blocks were also pieced, and 2 side of Bats and Boos wall hanging was bound.  Hopefully I'll finish that binding today.  

2 comments:

Tired Teacher 2 said...

“Y” seams are a bugger, for sure. The block looks good despite the frustration.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Looking good! I like the cat! :)