Pages

Saturday, October 30, 2021

Mixing scraps and new yardage

 This has been a good year for making things with scraps or with things already in my stash.  I'm pleased that I have been using things up, but am also being realistic enough to recognize that the size of my stash hasn't decreased much and the scrap bins appear just as full as ever.  I've decided that's OK because I've been having lots of scrappy fun this year. 

My spreadsheet as of Friday morning indicated I've made 998 blocks so far this year, and have finished 66 different projects.  Not everything was scrappy, but MOST of those blocks definitely were.  Some of the finished projects used LOTS of those scrappy blocks.  There are currently 3 quilt tops waiting to be quilted that are totally scrappy, and there are blocks sets growing for several future quilts.  Many thanks to the Rainbow Scrap Challenge again this year for challenging us to use our scraps.  I get a lot of pleasure from this type of sewing. 

Even though I've tried the last few years to be more careful with purchases of new fabric, it still happens.  I have cut back on just buying fabric because I like it, but what fun would there be if I didn't do some deliberate stash enhancement?  And this fall I've enhanced the stash quite a bit.


Granddaughter Olivia wants a bag for her piano books, and when I saw this new digital music print I bought enough to make her a bag and a pillowcase for Christmas.  The front of the bag even made use of some of those scraps I mentioned to add some flying geese and the black frames.  I'm hoping to finish assembling this 14 x 20" bag over the weekend.   


And I bought this great purple Tula Pink yardage for the bag lining and handles.  Plus there is enough for the top of the pillowcase.  Excellent purchases in my opinion! 


Another mix of scraps and new yardage happening here is this fun little gnome project.  I bought a panel called Gnome-antics (Wilmington Prints) because it was just too cute to resist.  This one section is trying to become a holiday wall hanging, and I'm using up more scraps for borders.  Since there is a lot more of this cute panel I'm playing with ideas for using some of the rest of it.  

I've decided that as long as I have scraps to play with, I'm a rich woman!!

10 comments:

cityquilter grace said...

lovely projects...tula pink hard to resist...i caved on a layer cake earlier this year...lol

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I'm impressed with your spreadsheet and your quilty accomplishments this year, Sara! You've made beautiful things! I love the book bag for your granddaughter, too - you found the perfect fabric for it.

Mari said...

Wow, that is a lot of blocks and projects! Congratulations on all that progress. Buying fabric to make things for grandchildren is absolutely allowed. In fact, I think it's a must! She will love the bag.

Far Side of Fifty said...

You had a busy year and were working too, next year could be even better!

Jenny said...

That's a great philosophy! I think most of us can claim to be both rich and happy women as we play with our fabric scraps!

The Joyful Quilter said...

SEW many blocks and finished projects, Sara!! I'm looking seeing your RSC quilts come together. LOVE that darling gnome panel, too!!!

Ivani said...

Hooray and Hooray for 998 blocks and 66 different projects finished. You rock, Sara!!!

Vicki in MN said...

You had a very busy and productive year! We are all so lucky to have a stash and scraps as prices continue to climb.

Kate said...

You've done a great job playing with and using up those scraps. The piano book bag is going to be so bright and fun. Hope you get lots done this week.

LA Paylor said...

I have a mighty stash but I love my scraps as much. I decided if I had to choose, I'd be able to work from scrap bins and not use them up. Then I started making more and nearly used up my white/beige bin! That piano fabric is SO PRETTY. I love the little star blocks in the bottom left and center too