Pages

Friday, July 26, 2024

Another week

What has this week been all about?  Lots of different things . . . had coffee with friends one morning, was part of 2 Quilt of Valor awards one afternoon, read a really good book, finished a quilt top, layed out the parts for a new holiday wall hanging, pieced a backing for another UFO quilt, worked on some binding, and sewed a few quilt blocks.


The book - Lessons in Chemistry was a fairly quick read and I thoroughly enjoyed it.  Interesting characters and clever writing.  I'm not at all good at writing a book review, but must thank the bloggers who recommend awesome books.  


One of the UFOs hanging in the closet was this Happy Block quilt top.  It's a nice child sized quilt and destined to be donated.  I dug deep into the leftover backing pieces and found the multi-color batik.  It needed to be pieced to work, but luckily there was enough to do that.  I really need to try quilting this one myself.  


Star of Wonder is the free mystery going on at Fat Quarter Shop.  Week 4 added an "inner" border, which tells me there is one more clue.  I haven't sewn the blocks into rows yet, but this is probably going to be my layout.  


The Quilts of Valor for this week's award were shipped to me by the family members who made the quilts for the recipients - a married couple who are both veterans.  I especially love how this quilt looks - very scrappy and beautiful.  They even sent special patriotic pillowcases for the school age children of this couple.  As always I'm honored to be a part of this program.


Outside of my home office window is a bird feeder, and most of my mornings start with at least one cup of coffee while I watch the birds on that feeder.  But the wild turkeys have also discovered that feeder - or more accurately, the ground under the feeder.  They scratch and dig into the landscaping rocks to get to the seed scattered by the little birds.  So each week when my husband mows, he has to rake the rocks back into place.  


My "garden" is doing pretty well, except for the pot of petunias drowned out by 9" of rain in about 30 hours last month.  I've even harvested a few little tomatoes from the one tomato plant in a pot on  the deck.  This geranium is on my front porch and I love the color.  The one on the back deck is a similar color, but a different variety. 

Well, it's Friday and the first day of Arts in the Park.  I do believe part of my day today will involve checking out the vendors.  It has been 19 years since we had Arts in the Park here, so I've been looking forward to it all summer.  And both sons-in-law arrive today to play golf for 3 days with my husband.  Should be a good weekend!

7 comments:

Vicki in MN said...

You had another good week of accomplishments. And sounds like you may have some sewing time over the weekend with the hubster busy golfing.

Kate said...

Sounds like you've been busy on multiple fronts. Your Star of Wonder is looking good. Enjoy the arts show and hopefully lots of sewing time this weekend.

Nann said...

Yes, Lessons in Chemistry was good -- very funny but also very serious. Have you watched the TV adaptation?
The Star of Wonder is coming along -- the 'diamond' in the border enhances the design.
There are wild turkeys in our neighborhood though I haven't seen any lately.
Happy Friday!

Tired Teacher 2 said...

I do like the QOV design, especially since it appears to use scraps. Thank you for awarding the quilts for family members who couldn’t be there. While the turkey scratching the rocks around is a nuisance, they are preventing the seeds from growing.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I love the bright colors in the first quilt photo - such pretty bold colors

Far Side of Fifty said...

Star of Wonder will be a great quilt! Such a different design! Your Geraniums look great, such a pretty color. Glad you liked the book, I did too:)

Bonnie said...

Ah -- you read my favorite book from 2023. I loved that book. Pretty eye opening in a way -- I was a child in the 50s and had no idea that women couldn't be whatever they wanted to be. In fact my dad always told me I could be whatever I wanted to be... until some point where he complained about women not staying at home to take care of it. I got the first message but rather ignored the 2nd message. I really like Happy Blocks. But, I refuse to start a new one until I finish off several that are in the works.