Pages

Monday, July 22, 2024

Design Wall Monday - July 22

 Hmmm - I have a strange combination of projects going on this week.  There is something Christmas-y, strings and other scrappy play, and finally some 30s vibe things.


The Christmas project in the works is the free pattern from Fat Quarter Shop called Star of Wonder.  I wasn't planning to do this one but I really liked that big star block for the first clue, so it was inevitable that I jumped right in.  One clue per week is manageable when you only have to make 1 or 4 blocks.  This was the block for week #3.  It's kind of an odd block until you lay it out with the others.


I'm assuming that next week we'll see exactly how these will go together, but the look definitely changes depending on the direction you spin these blocks.  This way it really does look like a star.


But with those week #3 blocks turned around you get kind of a diamond effect from those slanted white sections.  And rotating those green blocks changes it even more.  So it will be fun to see what's next. 


Friday was Crazy Days in our little city, with lots of bargains everywhere.  My craziest purchase was a big bag of . . . wait for it.  SCRAPS!!!  Just what I needed right?  At The Pin Cushion they had a what appeared to be a kiddy wading pool filled with bags stuffed with scraps, at a tempting low price.  How could I resist?  I chose the one I did because I saw a couple of good sized pieces of something I knew would work perfectly in a project I've been planning.  Once home and opened up I discovered nearly every piece in here was at least a 10" square or more.  And there were several pieces that were a definite score.  


Four new Kitty blocks were quickly assembled from that scrap bag.  I'm getting near to having enough for a quilt top.  More rainbow string blocks are under construction too. 


And the 30s vibe?  My Riley Blake Design challenge quilt top is getting close to total assembly.  There are 2 more rows of blocks to add, and then the final outer border.  I'm excited to get this top complete this week.  

What else is going on here?  The binding is complete on a couple of small projects that I'll share another day.  And the binding for 2 more projects is being prepped today.  

What's on your design wall this week?

I'm also linking up with Monday Musings . . .

14 comments:

Kim said...

Your star quilt is so pretty - great choices of fabrics! And I love the kitties. That is a cute use of scraps.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

So many different combinations for these star blocks, it's fun to play with! Cute kitties too ;)

Nann said...

Serendipity in the wading pool! Would the holiday design work if the corners were rotated the other way?

cityquilter grace said...

i love that christmas project....coming along nicely....ah scraps..they are tempting...a quilt shop i frequented had a laundry basket full of rolled up pieces at ridiculous prices so i availed myself of several..

Vicki in MN said...

You do have a lot happening in this post, hope your week continues to be very productive.

Mrs. T said...

That Star of Wonder is truly wonderful!!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Looks like you've been having fun with all kinds of things - that's my favorite kind of sewing week! The FQS mystery has some neat blocks. I'm curious to see how it goes together!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

You do have a variety of projects to work on and they are all so pretty. Those little cats are spectacular. I love the orange block- cute! Cute! Cute! Well they are all cute! Hee! Hee! Have a great day and Happy quilting.

a good yarn said...

That Christmas star project looks amazing. Gotta love a scrap bag and love the fabrics in your Kitty blocks. Thank you for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment.

Kat Scribner said...

Love your mystery stars from FQS. I was not interested until I started seeing quilters color plans pop up and I love how they are coming along.

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Stunning Star of Wonder, Sara!!!

Kate said...

That star block is really cool. So tempting to go take a look at that one. Love the kitty blocks! Those are all fun.

Tired Teacher 2 said...

The new kitties are fun and colorful.

Bonnie said...

Now I wish I had done that quilt along or was it a mystery? I may have to save the directions as I would like a new Christmas quilt -- depending on the size. I really like your fabric choices. Yea for getting a grab bag of scraps that has already had some of the fabrics put to use. Looks like you had a great sewing week last week.