Pages

Monday, July 29, 2024

Design Wall Monday - last Monday in July

What is on your design wall today?  


Mine has the parts for 4 new Dutchman's Puzzle blocks, in various colors.  The one closest to being done is brown and aqua, which turned out to be a surprisingly good color combo.  That brown is a nice warm tone.  I think there is at least one more brown in my batik stash that will work nicely with the aqua.  The other 3 that are kitted up are colors I've already used earlier in the year, but will add to - in order to make this quilt big enough.   I was doing 2 blocks each month, but 3 of each color will be better.  

I had guessed orange would be the RSC color for August, then on Saturday I saw that it would be browns and blacks.  On Sunday Angela did some clarification - and it IS going to be orange, with the dark colors for September.  Either is OK with me.  


A small project is in progress for this week.  It will be a gift when it’s done.  And there is some continued binding that needs to be finished as well.  

With a new month beginning on Thursday there will be new blocks revealed for a couple of online mystery projects - Tranquility (Bear Creek Quilts), Carol Doak's paper pieced BOM, and the Star of Wonder mystery from Fat Quarter Shop.  I've kept up with these so far.  I'm anxious to see what is next for Tranquility in particular.


Another project this week is to work on more Kitty blocks, an RSC set of blocks. I made 2 using black prints this weekend, before I saw that orange would be August’s color.  That’s OK because I’ll need some of both - dark colors and orange.  
 

So far, only the top 2 rows are sewn together.  The quilt would be 63 x 81 if I stick to the number of blocks I have made at this point.  Set 7 blocks across by 9 rows - it's not a bad size, but it might be good to add another vertical row and another horizontal row (8 x 10) so it would work better for a twin bed.  That would require 17 more blocks which could certainly happen by the end of the year for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge. 

I'm linking up with Design Wall Monday . . .

I'm also linking up with Monday Musings . . .

7 comments:

Nann said...

The batiks are yummy! Fifth Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday -- feels like a bonus week.

Tired Teacher 2 said...

The kitty quilt is going to be adorable! Love the variety of fabrics.

Bonnie said...

Thanks for mentioning that Orange is the color of the month. I wouldn't have gone back to check and just have made a few wild black and color blocks. Your kitty quilt is coming along nicely. Looking forward to seeing your brown and aqua block... am I right the top grouping of geese is the brown and the bottom is the aqua? They do look great together.

Kate said...

Brown and Teal is a nice color combination. I would like to make a whole quilt in those colors at some point. Love all your kitty blocks, that is going to be such a fun quilt. Happy stitching this week.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Brown and aqua is a pretty color combination! And I love your kitties - what a fun quilt they'll make!

Vicki in MN said...

Such pretty kitties! Brown and aqua is the color of my bed quilt.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Love the colors for your Dutchmans puzzle blocks!! and thanks for shairng the orange - I saw the brown but hadn't looked again... go orange!!!