Pages

Wednesday, December 9, 2020

Absence of color

 For the past month of so I’ve been working with lots of bright cheerful colors.  But now I’m working on a new project, and it is more about the absence of bright color - until I add some applique.


Two shades of grey make up the background of this project.  I have a base all sewn together and now I’m using a Twister ruler to cut the pieces that will be reassembled to make the actual background that will then have pinwheels showing up.  Have you tried the Twister technique?  

The oversized blocks are laid out in a grid and sewn together.  This one also has an outer border added.  Then the Twister ruler is laid on top with the markings lining up with the seams.  You cut the "twisted" smaller squares out and then straighten them up and sew them back together.  And if you've sewn your grid correctly you will end up with pinwheels.  

In this case I'll have 12 darker grey pinwheels in the background of this project with applique on top of some of it.  

3 comments:

Tired Teacher 2 said...

I like Twister projects but I’ve never tried the technique.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Oh this will be fun!!

Kate said...

I've not seen that technique before. Fingers crossed your grids all line up!