Pages

Sunday, December 27, 2020

Contemplating next moves

Round 3 is finally complete on Unity.  And now that I've had a chance to really look at it, I know that Round 4 MUST happen.  The lack of lime green in Round 3 gives the eye a little rest, but it looks "unfinished" to me as is.  So . . . Round 4 is in the planning phase. 


Bonnie Hunter's pattern calls for a Pinwheel Star block - 6.5" unfinished.  She did hers in patriotic colors, so obviously I need to figure out how I will lay out my colors.


Just a glimpse of what I've been playing with.  Green needs to come back to life in this round, but I definitely don't like the green center with the pinwheel.  The aqua center is an improvement - maybe.  And then I got to thinking . . . what if I ditch the pinwheel and just make it a simple friendship star block instead?  


Here is what I'm thinking right now.  Half of the 36 blocks in Round 4 with green points and the other half with pink points.  Aqua centers seemed to be the best choice too.  So far only 3 blocks are sewn with the black background cut for 14 more.  And while I was cutting those backgrounds it became obvious that it was time to organize the tub of black and white prints so I could find what I wanted.


The tub itself was such a mess that the lid didn't come close to going on and everything was a jumbled mess.  There are lots of prints that read more "white with black", and prints with a mostly "grey" look to them when you step back.  Those are all choices that I don't want much of in this quilt.  But I found plenty of "just right" black and whites to use.  Those are on the top now so as I cut more background pieces for this quilt I won't have to dig very deep. Plus now everything is refolded neatly, sorted, and it all fits back into the tub, although the lid is still not on.  Yay!! 

Now I need to sort and organize the pink, green, and aqua fabrics because they are a mess too. 

3 comments:

cityquilter grace said...

i agree...green stars with aqua centers....pop!

Ramona said...

I like your choice of blocks for the final round. Love these colors!

Kate said...

I like the mix of green and pink friendship stars. That black background really makes the blocks pop. I hadn't planned to go all the way to clue 8, but I think that's my current plan.