Pages

Monday, June 28, 2021

Design Wall Monday - June 28

 Another Quilt of Valor top is complete and ready to quilt.


This isn't the best quality photo, but it gives you the general idea.  The block is a free one from Moda called Jelly Belly Bar, and I've now made 3 quilts using it.  For this QOV I decided to try turning the blocks vertically, and I think it changes the whole look.  I like the result.  


This was the first Jelly Belly Bar Quilt of Valor I made last month, with the blocks placed horizontally like the original pattern showed.  

There is an interesting leftover with these quilt tops resulting from the partial blocks used on the edges.  I now have 14 of the leftover partials, that are cut from full blocks.  In the future I may do the math to just make them the right size from the get-go, rather than waste fabric.  And they are NOT an exact half block either which is strange.  But for now I have those partial blocks to play with.  They want to become something but I'm just not sure what yet. 


I'm linking up with Design Wall Monday today:
https://smallquiltsanddollquilts.blogspot.com/

5 comments:

Tired Teacher 2 said...

I like the vertical layout the best, and the variety of centers makes the quilt even more interesting. Great job! You could use the partial blocks as labels.

Moneik said...

That really changes the look of the quilt. I wonder if you could cut them in half, mix the extras together and make sort of pinwheel cross blocks.

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

What a neat, simple pattern--lets the fabrics shine!!!

Kate said...

Changing the orientation does really change the look. Congrats on the finished quilt top.

Judy Hansen said...

Hi Sara,
You have a beautiful selection of patriotic fabrics. I hope you play with the partial blocks and figure out a way to make them into another quilt of valor. Hugs, Judy