Pages

Tuesday, June 1, 2021

2021 UFO Challenge - June focus

 For June, the number 5 was drawn for the APQ UFO Challenge.  There are 3 items on my list for #5, but one of them is already done. Yay!!  

The other 2 things on the list are my Farm Girl Vintage 12" blocks, and a Pick a PIG.  Well, I posted about this month's PIG yesterday.  So, now I need to focus on putting together a quilt top or two using the blocks from the 1st Farm Girl Vintage book, which I made several years ago. 


I pulled out the project box and there are 54 blocks in there and that would allow enough for 2 quilts. I think I’ll use 42 of them in a simple setting with sashing.  Layed out 6 blocks wide by 7 blocks long will are a decent sized quilt.  It may or may not end up with a border.  And I’m playing with the idea of using the barn block and 8 animal blocks in a Circle of Nine layout for a second quilt.  I played with some options, and think this one will work really well.  Do you play with design ideas using grid paper and colored pencils?  

There are a few blocks - like the rooster - in this group from the Farm Girl Vintage 2 book, but most are from the 1st book.  Lori Holt offered some of the blocks as downloads before that second book came out, and I did buy a few.  A soft brown solid was purchased for the sashing, maybe a year ago.  If I end up with 42 blocks in quilt #1, and 9 in quilt #2, then I’ll still have 3 blocks to use for something.  

The Sew Vintage group I'm part of worked our way through the first FGV book back in 2016-17.  Maybe we began in 2015 - I'm not sure.  I also was part of a challenge with a small Facebook group, so I made both the 6" and the 12" block every time.  I’ve made ALL of the blocks from the first book, and several from the second book.  


My quilt using the 6" blocks was finished during the summer of 2017.  This quilt is hanging over a quilt rack in my living room currently. It's so bright and cheerful in those 30s reproduction fabrics.  

4 comments:

Tired Teacher 2 said...

The Circle of Nine is perfect for your selected blocks. I have a spiral bound notebook of grid paper to keep all my planning together and add color with crayons. Low tech works for me when designing.

Moneik said...

I love your sketched idea! I think it will turn out great. I've wanted to do one similar with 4-H show animals and 4-H fabric.

Nann said...

I like the design concept of Circle of Nine. Great way to showcase the blocks and make not-too-big a quilt.

Far Side of Fifty said...

It will be a beauty!