Pages

Saturday, June 26, 2021

Roll On progress

 It has been a very strange week for me, as Monday I ended 38 years of being a teacher when I turned in my final set of grades.  That was my identity for almost 4 decades, so now I'm feeling . . . I'm not sure what I am feeling I guess. 

Tuesday and Wednesday were very un-focused but gave me lots of time to make blocks, and now it appears that I have enough of the Roll On blocks for another child size or lap quilt.


Purple, purple, purple and some additional colors.  I have a small box full of leftover 5" squares, and the pink ones and multi-colored ones came out of that box.  The orange was cut from a scrap laying on the cutting table.   I really love how the white background pinwheels show up as this quilt top comes together. Hmmm . . . maybe I need to keep making more so this quilt top is larger than child size. 


These blocks are a new favorite for RSC sewing because they only take 2 charm squares of a color and 2 from a background.  Because the wedges are sewn together and then squared up they are pretty forgiving and great scrap busters.  And if you don't have 5" charms, you can cut the pieces from a 3.5" strip because that is the size of the wide end.  The wedges are 5" long, and 1.5" wide at the top and 3.5" wide at the bottom.  Just make sure to cut them ALL with the right side up so that the angle is identical on them all.  

I'm linking up with the Rainbow Scrap Challenge today:
https://superscrappy.blogspot.com/

11 comments:

cityquilter grace said...

enjoy your retirement....above all stay well! the first year i sewed like a madwoman every single day...such freedom!

Preeti said...

You will always be a teacher - loved and remembered by your students. I am sure you will settle into a new routine. For now, enjoy the whirligigs - they sure make me smile :-)

Angie said...

I like the Roll On blocks - may have to give them a try! I'm always looking for an easy scrap-buster block. My sister also just retired after 40-something years in education. Her dear hubby retired from education several years ago, so he just swept her along into his retirement plans. :-) Hope you enjoy this new phase in your life!

Shepherdess55 said...

Eventually you'll find a new routine for your days and in time you'll be so busy you'll wonder how you had anytime for teaching.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Congratulations on your retirement! I retired just a few years ago from a career in teaching, so I know how you're feeling! The great thing is all the time to sew and do the other things you didn't have enough time for before. The Roll-on blocks look like the perfect way to get started!

Jenny said...

Retirement is certainly a different life! I'm sure you will keep in touch with your colleagues and have regular get togethers. Meanwhile you will have plenty of time to sew, garden, spend time with hubby and whatever else takes your fancy. When we retired, the biggest thing was not waking up so early, after years of the alarm clock going at 5.30am, and rushing out the door at 6.30am!

sue s said...

Congrats on your retirement! You will find a routine that pleases you as you go on. I love your roll-on blocks and their name! And the pattern the backgrounds make is neat.

Kate said...

Congrats on the retirement. We are still a few years from retirement, but I've been wondering how that first week will feel. It has to be adjustment to go from 40 years of doing one thing to not doing it regularly. Enjoy your free time. You have lots of fun projects in the works right now. Happy stitching.

Katie Z. said...

Congratulations on your retirement. I hope you are able to enjoy the lack of schedule for a while! (Although without a job-enforced schedule, I still never seem to lack of schedule.)

grammajudyb said...

Congratulations! I hope you’ll plan some special adventures you couldn’t do while employed. And the first icy winter morning you don’t have to get up and go to work, you’ll rejoice a bit! 😄

Far Side of Fifty said...

Allow yourself a little time to adjust to retirement! Soon you won't know how you ever had time to work!