Pages

Wednesday, June 30, 2021

A BIG finish - Saturday Sampler

 I love, love, love participating in our local Saturday Sampler and have done it for many years now.  Thank you to The Pin Cushion for hosting this program even through the pandemic.  We're currently about 2/3 of the way through a new Saturday Sampler program, but I finally finished the previous one.


 My photo is in the morning shadows in our back yard so the colors look a bit muted, and my 6' tall husband was struggling to hold up this quilt without the corners flopping around.  It's huge - queen sized - and all done in batiks during 2019 and finished mid-2020.  The colors of batiks are always very rich and I love sewing on batiks as they are so smooth and don't stretch much.  


This particular sampler gave us a 12" (finished) block pattern each month and the main fabrics to make 2 blocks.  We added our own backgrounds and could choose between batiks or 30s prints when we signed up. I had a very hard time choosing because I love both.  Every couple of months we could also choose the option of adding an oversized 24" block.  I really liked how those big blocks changed the whole look. 

The original pattern had a narrow border of tiny flying geese where my dark blue border is.  I waffled back and forth for months trying to decide whether or not to do those geese.  In the end I opted to make it a simple narrow dark border and I like it just as well.  

5 comments:

Tired Teacher 2 said...

It’s a stunning quilt. The dark blue frame sets off the blocks and pulls the eye back to the center - well done!

Astrid said...

Congrats on the finish! Absolutely gorgeous!

Kate said...

Congrats on a beautiful finish! The dark border really frames the quilt, so definitely a good design modification since it's also a lot less work. Done is definitely better.

Sharon Kwilter said...

That's a pretty quilt. Well done.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Wow it is a beauty!